Remember that time when your mum would make you a refreshing Ribena slushy after a long day at school? What about when she’d pour Ribena for you in a wine glass so you can participate in “wine tasting” with the rest of the adults? Or when she’d sit and play with you, pretending that Ribena was a bottle of champagne–remember the old packaging?
Nothing beats childhood memories. We’re sure you’d want your kids to have a treasure trove of fond times to look back on, too.
Continue the tradition of creating memorable moments by giving your kids Ribena Cordial (just the way your mum did!). The best part is that it’s a healthy choice.
Blackcurrants may be small but they pack quite the punch. Some of their health benefits are that they:
- Have four times vitamin C compared to oranges. This boosts the immune system and reduces the duration and severity of colds and flu
- Help alleviate symptoms of diseases like psoriasis thanks to their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- Reduce bad cholesterol
- Lower blood pressure because they contain potassium
- Help prevent damage to cells in the heart
- Reduce the risk of liver damage
- Prevent urinary tract infection
- Support digestive health
- Boost mental performance by improving concentration and alertness thanks to antioxidants
- Help fight Alzheimer’s disease by producing more dopamine
- Improve night vision
- Help reduce joint pain for those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis
Ribena Cordial’s sweetness can also be adjusted, and it doesn’t contain artificial sweetener, flavouring, or colouring.
But, wait. There’s more than one way to enjoy this drink. To make things extra special, here are easy recipes that use Ribena as an ingredient.
Ribena Summer Pudding (serves 4)
500g mixed fruit – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
8 slices of white bread
For the syrup:
25 ml water
25ml Ribena Cordial
- Bring the syrup ingredients to a boil
- Once it’s boiling, turn the fire down, add in the fruits and let it simmer.
- Once the fruits are soft (not mashed) drain out the liquid into a separate bowl
- Cut the bread into slices to fit the muffin tray – remember to cut off the crumbs!
- Soak one side into the leftover fruit syrup. Place the bread with the soaked side on the outside.
- Spoon in the fruits in the moulds. Cover the top with soaked bread as well to cover
- Place a plate over everything – it should have some weight so that it can squeeze everything while it chills overnight
- The next day, take it out from the moulds and serve it on a plate – garnish with more Syrup mixture and some fruits
Ribena Jelly Trifle
I packet Jelly Powder
500ml Water – or follow jelly packet instructions
80ml Ribena blackcurrant juice cordial – or as little or as much as you’d like
1 cup of diced fruit
- In a medium pot, bring the water to boil.
- Turn off the heat and pour the konnyaku mixture into water gradually and stir till sugar dissolved
- Split the mixture into 2 separate containers
- Start pouring Mixture A into the moulds to about half the mould. Let it set
- Add Ribena into Mixture B – you can control the sweetness here. Keep stirring so that jelly has a mushy consistency
- Put cubes of mango into Container B, then spoon
- After Mixture A has set and cooled, spoon mixture B to create a top layour
- Leave to cool and chill in fridge before serving.
Try these healthy Ribena recipes which your kids are sure to love. More importantly, they will cherish the time spent whipping up these good treats with you forever. To stay updated with Ribena, go to their Facebook page.