5-Minute fruits and flowers salad bowl recipes to excite your child
Excite your child with these healthy fruits and flowers salad bowl recipes instead!
Being parents to children born in the millennium is a given challenge, no questions asked. We are not even talking about their tantrums or antics. We are talking bad food habits and selective eating. It can be a total headache and certainly an uphill task to get them started on changing their diet. Fret not parents, this is not a losing game!
It is still never too late to cultivate an entirely new eating regime for an improved nutrition plan for your children. We have compiled three simple five minute recipes for a fruit and flower salad bowl meal to kick-start a healthier diet for the growing ones!
Of course, the recent discovery of edible flowers is a bigger reason to excite your child on the diversity of food available at their disposal.
There are so many possible combinations really, with the plethora of available fruits and flowers at the local grocery store. I get spoilt for choice and sometimes overbuy them (no regrets anyhow, home-made strawberry & blueberry jams are an absolute hit in the kitchen!)
For the sweet tooth, berries are the safest bet with the kids. Citrus fruits are a little risky because the sourness can turn off your child entirely. There any many interesting citrus salad recipes however available online for the bold! For the fussy eaters, these new recipes might just change their palate entirely! The secret – is no secret really. It’s all about taste and trying. Some flowers have really pronounced tastes so you can always experiment with some flowers before choosing the bloom of your choice. These quick recipes are both pleasing to the eye and delightful to the taste buds. We can assure you, it is worth all the sourcing and chopping (and boiling).
Sweet Tooth Salad Bowl
- 1 packet of Sweet Strawberries
- First impressions count so make sure it is the sweeter ones – Sliced evenly vertically
- 5-6 Petals of roses
- Roughly chopped to bring out the flavour (the darker, the stronger the flavour)
- 1 packet of Ripe Cherries
- Tip: You could squeeze 2 or 3 cherries as a dressing mix to elevate the taste
- ½ a cup of Sweet Corn
- You can buy them frozen and boil/steam them before mixing into the bowl.
- Baby Romaine Leaves
- Chopped roughly
- 2 Teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon of Honey
Summer’s Calling Bowl
- ¾ cut Watermelon – diced into cubes
- ¾ cut Honeydew or Cantaloupe – diced into cubes
- Baby Spinach Leaves – stalks removed
- 5-6 Petals of carnations – roughly chopped
- 2 Spoonfuls of Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tablespoons of Maple Syrup
Hola Mexican Bowl
- 1 small packet of grape cherry tomatoes/honey cherry tomatoes
- cut into quarters
- Boiled Baby Carrots
- as a whole, skin grated.
- ½ Yellow Capsicum
- diced and chopped into cubes (you can sautéed them for a softer texture)
- 1 bunch of sweet seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon of organic balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon of Pure Honey/Maple Syrup
Try now and let us know what you think of it. All you need is five minutes to whip up some wholesome goodness for your little ones. Experimenting with the different flavours and textures of the fruits and flowers is the most thrilling part of it all!