Free Activities In Singapore This Weekend: CNY Bazaars, Taiwan's Ningxia Night Market & More
So many exciting activities await this weekend!
The weekend is finally here! Don’t waste it away by spending it at home because there are lots of free activities this weekend happening around the island to enjoy with your friends and family. Weekends will never be the same again with this weekend planner.
Wait, what? Yes, you read it right, Old Chang Kee is hosting a food street at their headquarters in the spirit of CNY.
You can find old street hawker food like Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls, Curry Chicken, Nasi Lemak, noodles, desserts and drinks.
There’s even curry puff-flavoured potato chips and crispy prawn rolls for the adventurous!
When: Now to Jan 22, 8am to 8pm
Where: Old Chang Kee HQ, 4 Woodlands Terrace, Singapore 738427
Calling all Easties, Kallang Wave Mall is going all out for CNY this year. From freebies to photo ops, you can look forward to these:
- Freebies (Ang baos with holographic designs and limited edition mouse cups)
- Giveaways (rainbow calligraphy, clay figurines and traditional Chinese fans)
- Lion dance performances
- Zodiac readings
- Photo ops
- For terms and conditions, you can check out the Facebook page or enquire at the mall’s L1 Concierge.
There will also be mouse mascots for you and your family to take photos with, as well as a roving God of Fortune who will be at the mall on Jan 18 to Jan 19, at 6.30pm.
Expect a grand celebration on Feb 1 as there will be a lion dance performance happening at 2pm.
As a CNY bonus, shoppers are entitled to 2 hours of free parking every weekday in January between 11am to 4pm. Terms are conditions are:
- Spend $50 or more ($100 for FairPrice Xtra purchases)
- Limited to the first 50 shoppers
When: Now to Jan 31, 10am to 10pm
Where: Kallang Wave Mall, 1 Stadium Pl, Singapore 397628
Almost every other mall has their own CNY celebration but what’s so special about this one? Well, for starters, there’s a $1,888 cash prize up for grabs if you are steeley enough to try the Gold Bar Challenge.
To participate, you will need to spend a minimum of $268 in two same-day receipts. Then, all you have to do is to lift a 10kg gold bar out of a tiny hole on an acrylic box within a minute. Sounds easy enough!
But wait, only the eight fastest contestants will compete in the grand final, with only one walking away with the grand prize. Check out the details here and good luck!
If you’re not mentally and physically up for it, don’t worry as there’s still plenty of activities happening! Get Taiwanese goodies and CNY decorations from the Spring Fair, or catch the God of Fortune roaming about for a photo op (2pm and 6pm, on Jan 18 and Jan 19).
There are also craft workshops for little ones to join in, with just a minimum spending of $30 in a single same day receipt. Only 25 spots are available for each workshop, so register now at the Concierge Counter on Level 2.
The workshops are:
Lion Dance Cookies Making Workshop
When: Jan 18, 2pm to 5pm
Where: Open space opposite Universal Traveller, Level 2
Fortune Cat Cookies Making Workshop
When: Jan 19, 2pm to 5pm
Where: Open space opposite Universal Traveller, Level 2
When: Now till Jan 24, 10am to 10pm
Where: 113 New Bridge Road, #B1-50A, Chinatown Point, Singapore 059413
ASIAN NIGHT MARKET: TAIWAN FOOD FESTIVAL
If you love the night markets in Taiwan, then you’ll definitely love this one! From Jan 16 to Feb 9, experience a mini recreation of the Ningxia Night Market, with more than 30 food vendors from the popular Taiwan market itself!
Look out for savoury dishes such as flaming beef cubes and egg-bombed scallion pancake, while enjoying Mandopop performances by home-grown artistes — Wang Weiliang, Cold Cut Duo and many more.
Award-winning Taiwanese chef and entrepreneur, Cheng Cheng Chung will also be serving up his famous beef noodles, so you’ll be in for a treat!
While entrance to the event is free, Sentosa’s island admission rates are still applicable.
Within the period of the night market, enjoy these perks:
- $5 off Grab rides into Sentosa with the promo code: SENTOSASPRING (while codes last)
- $5 cable car rides from Siloso Point Station to Harbourfront Station after 8pm
- Terms and conditions apply
When: Jan 16 to Feb 9, 5pm to 10:30pm (Note: The stalls will be closed from Jan 20 to Jan 22)
Where: Sentosa, Siloso beach
Back with a “Back to School” theme, TWILIGHT: Flea & Feast boasts a wide variety of yummy street food, free movies and shopping, over three days!
Check out the movie schedule:
Friday (17 January)
- 11am: Sky High
- 3pm: Camp Rock
- 7.30pm: High School Musical 1
Saturday (18 January)
- 11am: Monsters University
- 3pm: Princess Diaries
- 7.30pm: High School Musical 2
Sunday (19 January)
- 11am: How To Train Your Dragon
- 3pm: X-Men First Class
- 7.30pm: High School Musical 3
Besides that, there are also plenty of activities for children such as face-painting, bouncy castles and more!
When: Jan 17 to 19, 11am to 10pm
Where: Suntec Convention & Exhibition Centre
Subculture takes over Kampong Glam in the seventh edition of Aliwal Urban Art Festival! Expect a dazzling showcase of visual art, alternative music, dance performances, and skateboarding that confronts you with the theme of the festival: “What if”.
What if everything you thought about subculture was wrong? What if street art is beyond the streets? What if urban art takes over?
Find the answers to these questions in this celebration of street culture and explore how urban subculture can help change your perspective.
Here’s what to look out for:
- Urban Art – what do you get if you combine street art with augmented reality?
- Urban Sport – watch as Aliwal’s open-air parking lots transforms into a skateboarding battle arena, where the best compete for a grand prize
- Dance – from pop-up performances to games and workshops, move your feet to the beat
- Music – catch performances by local talents Mediocre Haircut Crew, Preetipls and Tengyboy, among others
- Lifestyle – join a handicraft workshop or stroll through the Craft and Design market
With a whole range of programmes lined up, there’s definitely something for everyone to enjoy!
When: Jan 18, 4pm till midnight
Where: Aliwal Arts Centre, 28 Aliwal Street, Singapore 199918
Grab your friends (furry or not) for a picnic this weekend! Here’s what’s going down:
- Adoption Drive – adopt a cat, a dog or both and make your family even more complete
- Ant Exhibition – find out what special exhibition the Singapore Ants Community has in stored for you
- Zodiac Ornaments – get your Zodiac or pets drawn by local artists
- Contests – dogs are pitted against each other as they try to reach the goal without getting distracted by food
There are also 50 fortune goodie bags up for grabs at the Goodie Bag Booth, with just an offer of any amount required to receive it!
When: Jan 19, 11am to 6pm
Where: Ficus Green, Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park (River Plains), 1384 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, Singapore 569932
Which free activities this weekend are you looking forward to experiencing?
Lead image credits: Old Chang Kee Singapore and Asian Night Market
Get daily updates about our top stories when you follow us on Telegram at https://t.me/theAsianparentSG.
Huat Huat Land, Carnival At Punggol - And Other Free Activities In Singapore This Weekend
Free Activities In Singapore This Weekend: Eatbox, Really Really Free Market 66 & More
Heart Failure In Babies: Heartbroken Singapore Dad Shares His Grief
Mum Cries Foul After PCF Sparkletots Staff Injures Toddler's Elbow; Police And ECDA Investigating