Father of 2 dies after food poisoning in popular Singapore restaurant

Father of 2 dies after food poisoning in popular Singapore restaurant

A father of two young children has died after a severe case of food poisoning in a Singapore restaurant. He was warded at Sengkang General Hospital ICU...

On 9 Nov 2018, a severe case of food poisoning in Singapore restaurant was reported.

In a joint press release BY MOH, NEA AND AVA, it was stated that they were "Investigating several cases of gastroenteritis traced to the consumption of food prepared at Spize Restaurant, located at 409 River Valley Road."

72 people came down with gastroenteritis after eating bento boxes prepared by Spize (River Valley) for an event.

Sadly, on 14 Nov 2018, Fadli Salleh, an officer with Sats, who was affected in the food poisoning scandal and admitted to ICU, passed away. He was married with 2 young children.

Father of 2 dies after food poisoning in Singapore restaurant

According to The Straits Times, those affected had eaten bento boxes prepared for a Deepavali celebration by security company Brink's Singapore, at Kaki Bukit, on 6 Nov 2018.

Mr Fadli Salleh had attended the gathering as he was deployed to Brink's Singapore. His condition later became critical after he came down with gastroenteritis. He was warded at the intensive care unit of Sengkang General Hospital.

"This is a tragic situation and we offer our heartfelt condolences to his family. He was a loyal colleague with a strong work ethic and dedication to serving our customers and his colleagues. We will miss him," said a Brinks spokesman.

A Sats spokesman has been quoted as saying, "We are providing support to the family during this sad and difficult time. Please approach Brinks if you have further questions."

9 people are still hospitalised, but their condition is stable. 36 people have been discharged.

We at theAsianparent offer our heartfelt condolences to Mr Fadli's family...

Hygiene lapses observed

According to the joint press release by MOH, NEA and AVA, several hygiene lapses were observed in the restaurant.

food poisoning in Singapore restaurant

These included, "leaving ready-to-eat food uncovered in a chiller, not providing soap for hand-washing (soap dispenser was faulty) and slotting knives for preparing ready-to-eat food in the gap between the food preparation tables."

The licence of Spize Restaurant at River Valley Road was suspended indefinitely, after 72 people came down with gastroenteritis, with 46 getting hospitalised.

Spize's co-owner Mr Haresh Sabnani offered his condolences to the family of the victim.

"Our sincere prayers are with them and all who are still recovering. We would like to assure everyone that we are taking all measures necessary to cooperate with MOH and AVA in the investigations and help in any way we can", he told The Straits Times.

He also said that Spize River Valley's management will "provide all help and assistance that is needed to the family during this difficult  time."

Food Poisoning Symptoms

Food poisoning is the result of eating contaminated, spoiled or toxic food. Bacteria is the most common cause of food poisoning. The main culprits are E.coli, listeria and salmonella. 

The most common symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. 

food poisoning in Singapore restaurant

However, the sick person may also experience the following symptoms: 

  • Stomach cramps
  • Mild fever
  • Weakness
  • Headaches

You need to see a doctor immediately for the following symptoms of food poisoning: 

  • Diarrhoea for more than three days
  • Fever higher than 38.3 Celsius 
  • Bloody urine
  • Difficulty seeing or speaking
  • Symptoms of dehydration including dry mouth, passing little to no urine and difficulty keeping down fluids. 

(Source: The Straits Times, MOH) 

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by

Jaya

app info
get app banner