Mushroom, shrimp and beancurd broth
Who has got the time to slave over a hot stove? With our busy schedules, cooking a tasty and healthy meal is out of the picture. Or is it? Here's a great alternative that's nutritious, delicious, quick and easy to make.
This is another exceedingly easy to cook soup that you can serve to your family or guests. And the cooking time? Less than 20 minutes!
Kids love the tofu and if they are adventurous, they can try the shrimp. If you want to have a better texture with the tofus, use the Japanese cotton beancurd as it is extremely smooth. And if you like it “hot”, put aside the servings for the kids, then add in some red hot chilli for a spicier version.
What you need:
- 3 pieces wrapped beancurd
- 225g shelled shrimps
- 113g minced pork
- 6 straw mushrooms
- 2 egg whites
- finely chopped Chinese parsley
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 3/4 tsp salt, pepper
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 21/2tbsps cornflour
- 1/4 cup water
What you do:
- De-vein shrimps and wash. Scald and drain
- Wash straw mushrooms. Blanch and dice.
- Mix minced pork with marinade.
- Break beancurd into small pieces with a fork.
- Bring 3 cups of water to the boil. Put in minced pork and simmer for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil.
- Add seasoning.
- Thicken with sauce and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour in egg whites and stir gently.
- Add Chinese parsley and serve.