Australians told to cut their strawberries after needles were found in them
Cut your strawberries before giving them to your little ones.
Buying strawberries or any fruit, for that matter, may never be the same anymore for some Australians. Ever since sewing needles were found in several strawberries nationwide, they have been warned to cut strawberries before eating them.
Australian authorities have also advised the disposal of all strawberries purchased from Woolworths Group. In particular, those that bore the brand Berry Licious or Berry Obsession were deemed to be of concern. This advice was given nationwide after Australian police in the northeast received four complaints of needles found embedded in Donnybrook branded strawberries.
Despite all three brands being recalled and withdrawn from sale, Aussies are advised to cut strawberries before consumption. And as an added measure, to check the fruit thoroughly before giving them to others to eat.
Queensland state government said in a statement recently that until otherwise advised, consumers should continue to cut them up before eating. Australian Strawberry industry development officer Jennifer Rowling hopes that the public will see this as an isolated incident. Strawberries are safe to eat, and it is a shame that this happened.
With a nett worth of more than A$130 million (US$93.61 million) each year, they are worried that the Australian strawberry industry might take a big hit.
However, from a consumer's point of view, there is still fear of the unknown. "What else could be found in the fruit?" one might ask. Isolated or not, as parents, we are bound to worry. It scares us even more because we're feeding it to our little ones. No parent would want to cause any harm to their own child.
From harmful pesticides to wax, and now needles. It is no wonder why consumers, especially parents would be extra careful. While consuming fruits covered in wax may not be healthy, it does not cause major harm. Pesticides and wax preserve fruits for longer, and they are surely not malicious acts. Unfortunately, we can't say the same for the needles.
What's more, if a needle is ingested unknowingly by our children or anyone, the internal damage to organs is so much worse.
So as an added precaution, on top of washing them thoroughly and removing the wax on fruits with warm water, pre-cut strawberries, and other fruit, in batches and label them. That way, even if children help themselves to the fruits in the fridge, you can be assured that what they are eating is safe.
Source: Channel NewsAsia