COVID-19: Singapore Reports Third Coronavirus-related Death
The Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed the third death from COVID-19 infection in the republic.
A 70-year-old Singaporean man infected with COVID-19 died on Sunday (29 March) from complications, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said.
The patient is the third death from COVID-19 in the republic.
Third death from COVID-19 had no recent travel history
The patient had no recent travel history to affected countries and regions, the MOH said.
He was admitted to Singapore General Hospital (SGH) on 29 February and was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection on 2 March.
The patient had been in the intensive care unit (ICU) since then. According to MOH, the patient developed serious complications due to the virus and because he had a history of hypertension and hyperlipidaemia.
He eventually succumbed to the infection after 27 days in the ICU.
Last Saturday (21 March), Singapore reported its first two COVID-19-related death after a 75-year-old Singaporean woman and a 64-year-old Indonesian man died from the disease.
Both deaths were due to complications from the infection and the patients’ pre-existing medical conditions. The woman had a history of chronic heart disease and hypertension, while the man had a history of heart disease.
Number of COVID-19 infection here surge past 800
As of Saturday (28 March), the total number of COVID-19 cases in Singapore has surged past 800 with 70 new infections recorded, bringing the total to 802.
Singapore authorities on Saturday urged the public via a WhatsApp message to stay at home and defer non-essential trips to malls.
The announcement comes a day after large crowds were seen outside malls, as mall operators implemented stricter safe-distancing measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The Government also called on foreign workers and foreign domestic workers to stay in on their rest days and avoid gathering in public spaces and reminded everyone to stay at least 1m away from each other and to avoid gathering in public spaces and visiting crowded areas.
At 11.59pm on Thursday, stiffer regulations came into effect such as jail terms and fines for individuals, event organisers and owners of premises who flout safe-distancing measures, as stipulated by the COVID-19 multi-ministry taskforce.
For COVID-19 news and important information parents need to know, click here.