COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

The new dad will soon reunite with his wife and 3-month-old son.

After spending nearly 5 months in Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), from escaping the clutches of death to making a dramatic recovery, Mr Raju Sarker is now fully recovered and discharged. 

That is despite losing 24kg, and spending nearly half of the time in the intensive care unit (ICU), fighting for his life, the 39-year-old Bangladeshi national—identified as Case 42—persevered on despite his critical condition.

COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

Raju is finally discharged after spending nearly 5 months at Tan Tok Seng Hospital due to COVID-19 infection. | Photo: Facebook/Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH)

On the road to recovery, Raju was said to have engaged in five weeks of intense, self-driven therapy with the guidance of TTSH’s rehabilitation team.

According to the hospital, what fuelled Raju’s determination was his family whom he counts as “one of the main sources of motivation to get better”.

Happy to witness the transformation of Raju and to bid him farewell, TTSH have uploaded a facebook post as a farewell tribute. There was also a farewell card consisting of various well-wishes for Raju’s “speedy recovery”.

COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

Photo: Facebook/Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH)

The sole breadwinner will also finally reunite with his wife and 3-month old newborn back home, born on 3o March 2020.

His wife had been pregnant with their first child when he fell ill in February. 

COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

Raju will soon get to see his baby in person. | Photo: Facebook/Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH)

Linked to Cluster in February

Raju is among the first foreign workers in Singapore to have tested positive of the virus.

According to a press release from the Ministry of Health (MOH), Case 42 is a 39 year-old male Bangladesh national who is a Singapore Work Pass holder, and had no recent travel history to China. 

He was alongside four other Bangladeshi other workers that were linked to a cluster in worksite Seletar Aerospace Heights back in February. 

The 39-year-old reported onset of symptoms on 1 February. He had sought treatment at a GP clinic on 3 February, and at Changi General Hospital (CGH) on 5 February. He went for a follow-up appointment at Bedok Polyclinic on 7 February. Thereafter, he was admitted to the intensive care unit at CGH.

Subsequent test results confirmed COVID-19 on 8 February afternoon, and Raju was transferred to the National Centre of Infectious Diseases (NCID) where he had been in critical condition for two months. 

In mid-April however, he showed signs of improvement and was transferred from the NCID’s ICU ward to a general ward in Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) on April 16.

On 18 May, Raju was later transferred to the TTSH rehabilitation centre on May 18 to further aid recovery with physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

ALSO READ: 

Wife of Critically Ill Bangladeshi Worker Says He Is Going To Be A Dad

COVID-19: Critically-ill Bangladeshi Worker’s Wife Gives Birth, Man Still Warded In Isolation

COVID-19: Bangladeshi Worker in Singapore Fully Recovers After Close Shave with Death, Discharged

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by

Jia Ling

app info
get app banner