We can’t help but panic when we discover our child drinks alcohol. Whether it was intentional or not, we feel responsible for failing to monitor or hide the liquor at home. This was the case for the parents who were unaware that their child brought alcohol to school. Because of this, a class of kindergarten students at a Michigan school accidentally drank tequila during their snack time.
In this article, you’ll read:
- Kindergarten students drank tequila during snack time
- The parents’ reaction to the incident
- Why children cannot drink alcohol
Kindergarten Students Drank Tequila During Snack Time
You know it’s bad news when your child drinks alcohol knowingly. Unfortunately, it gets worse once we discover that they brought it to school to share with their classmates. This was the case for kindergarten students in Michigan. They accidentally drank tequila brought by a student during their snack time.
The incident happened when one of the kids brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo Margaritas. She secretly put it inside her backpack as she went to their school that day.
Several students in Grand River Academy Livonia drank the liquor offered by their classmate. According to the children, they drank the margaritas because they assumed it was juice.
Image source: iStock
A parent says one of the kindergartners felt woozy and dizzy after consuming four to five sips of the alcohol from a dixie cup. Meanwhile, the kid who brought the alcoholic drink knew all along that it was alcoholic.
Domonique Zanders, one of the children’s mums, explained, “The girl poured it in her cup, and she drank it, and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face.”
On the other hand, the school released a statement saying that the faculty called poison control. They called poison control as soon as they learned that children were drinking the said alcoholic drink.
The school stated, “While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks.”
In response to what happened, the school immediately notified the parents of the children. They make sure to update the students’ parents that the kids are okay and in good shape.
Parents Express Their Anger Toward the Incident
Some outraged parents are blaming the child’s parents for the whole ordeal. Others blame the school and believe that such an incident should not have happened.
“If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it. But they should know not to touch it,” stated by one of the mums. “That it’s not for kids.”
The mum also said that she had asked her daughter what she knows about the incident. According to her child, the girl who brought the liquor knew that it was an alcoholic drink. This further sparked debate among the parents of the kids who unknowingly got drunk.
Why are Children Not Allowed to Drink Alcohol?
Image source: iStock
Children and adolescents ages 18 and below are advised not to drink alcohol. In most countries, laws are implemented regarding the legal age for drinking any type of liquor.
Drinking alcohol during an individual’s teenage years may cause a wide range of health and social problems in the future.
Meanwhile, if a child drinks alcohol, it should not be until they are at least 15. You may continue reading for some helpful health advice from National Health Service UK on alcohol and children.
Health Risk in Minors Who Drink Alcohol
- Drinking alcohol can damage an individual’s health despite being 15 or older. However, it could be more dangerous to kids, especially when they are still minors. It has lasting effects on the normal development of their vital organs and their functions. Drinking habits may also affect their hormones.
- Drinking alcohol before reaching the age of 14 can increase health risks. This includes alcohol-related injuries, involvement in violence, and suicidal tendencies.
- Alcohol drinking at an early age can also be associated with eventual risky behaviours. Some of the effects include violence, uncontrollable sex drive, young pregnancy, drug use, etc.
Advice for Parents
Image source: iStock
- Don’t let your children drink alcohol until they reach the legal age.
- If teenagers aged 15 to 17-year-olds drink alcohol, they should not do so regularly. A parent or guardian should always supervise them.
- Remember the weekly alcohol limit for minors (14 units). One unit of alcohol is about half a pint of average strength beer or a single measure (25 ml) of spirits. A small glass of wine consists of 1.5 units of alcohol.
- When they reach the legal age, we suggest you use positive practices such as incentives, setting limits, and agreeing on specific boundaries for drinking.
What Is the Legal Drinking Age in Singapore?
The legal drinking age in Singapore is 18 years old. However, there is no law penalising people who drink while underage. Meanwhile, police can stop, fine, or arrest a person under 18 drinking alcohol in public.
If you’re under 18, it’s against the law:
- for someone to sell you alcohol
- to buy or try to purchase alcohol
- for an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol for you
- to order alcohol in licensed places like pubs and restaurants
One Alcoholic Drink a Day Harms the Brain, Study Says
Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Breastfeeding?
More Than Running Errands – Netflix ”Old Enough!’ Raises Concerns on Parenting and Child Safety