10 great books for kids - Part 1
Trouble finding good books that will hold the attention of your five-year old? Does your six-year old drag you to Borders or Kino, only to be unable to decide on a book after walking down the aisles? Well here are some children's books that are appropriate for kids 4 years old and above.
1. Jumanji (1981) by Chris Van Allsburg
2. The Polar Express (1985) by Chris Van Allsburg
3. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (1987) by Judith Viorst, illustrated by Ray Cruz
4. The Very Busy Spider (1989) by Eric Carle
5. Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China (1996) by Ed Young
This story is a Chinese folktale version of the Little Red Riding Hood. Unlike in the fairytale, the bad wolf is unable to harm anyone except that he is killed at the end. Instead of only Little Red Riding, there are three girls in the story and the eldest outsmarts the wolf who pretends to be their grandmother. The mixture of abstract and realistic images as well as the three-picture sequences that often bears resemblance to Chinese decorations make this story book a 1990 Caldecott Medal winner.
Don\'t miss the continuation of this list next week with the next 5!