Most of us relived our childhood when we watched The Sound Of Music in Singapore on November 9 at MasterCard Theatres, Marina Bay Sands!
We were clapping and giggling away like school children when we heard our favourite songs like My Favourite Things, Do-Re-Mi and Sixteen Going on Seventeen. O what beautiful memories…!
If you didn’t know already, the 1965 movie starring Julie Andrews as Maria won five Oscars, including Best Picture, and remains one of the most popular movies of all time.
It tells the uplifting true story of Maria, the fun-loving governess who changes the lives of the widowed Captain von Trapp and his seven children by re-introducing them to music.
Sadly, dark days come knocking in the form of World War II, and the family has to escape across the Austrian mountains.
So, did The Sound Of Music in Singapore live up to our expectations? Read!
The Sound Of Music in Singapore: The Big Plusses
- Listen and get moving to all your favourite songs again, yay! And did we say, gorgeous sets?
- The cast. And guess what, 18 of Singapore’s most able young actors and actresses play the coveted roles of six of the seven Von Trapp children, with three children chosen to alternate each character.
The children come from all corners of Singapore and will perform in rotation throughout the season as the small and cute Gretl, the brothers Friedrich and Kurt, as well as their sisters Marta, Brigitta, and Louisa.
- Introduce your children to the charms of the good old gadget-free days when phones were called ‘telephones’ and telegrams were used to send urgent messages!
- There was just so much happiness and joie de vivre!
The Sound Of Music in Singapore: The tiny minuses
- Once you have seen Julie Andrews as Maria, it’s hard to imagine anyone else in that role, though to be fair, Carmen Pretorius does try hard.
- The romance between Maria and Captain Von Trapp gets no scope to develop here, and seems a bit forced.
For us, the best part was how much the little ones enjoyed the show, and kept going Do-Re-Mi all night!
And for re-introducing song and dance into our kids’ lives, we totally recommend that you watch The Sound Of Music in Singapore!
7 November to 2 December 2017
Tuesday to Friday: 7:30pm
Saturday: 2:00pm and 7:30pm
Sunday: 1:00pm and 6:00pm
* Excludes the booking fee of SGD$4 per ticket
INTERNET: www.MarinaBaySands.com/ticketing or www.sistic.com.sg
PHONE: +65 6688 8826
IN PERSON AT:
Marina Bay Sands Box Offices (Museum, Theatres, SkyPark, Retail Mall and Hotel Tower 1 Lobby).
For more information please log onto – www.MarinaBaySands.com