Codfish is one of the most delicious kinds of seafood around. It is very popular in Singapore and a favourite choice of mums who want to introduce their little ones to seafood. That’s why we thought of bringing you this wonderfully tasty steam cod fish recipe by one of Singapore’s best-known celebrity chefs, Sam Leong, from the leading restaurant group, TungLok.
But first, here’s a bit about the nutritional qualities of the codfish that is used in this delectable steam codfish recipe.
Cod fish Nutrition
With a mild, sweet taste, firm flesh and very high nutrition, this fish is perfect for the whole family, even babies who are already on solids.
Codfish is a superb source of protein. A four-ounce serve of it has over 21 grams of this nutrient. Additionally, it contains vitamin B12, choline and omega-3 fats which are all essential for overall good health, and brain development in little ones.
Image from: enterarena.blogspot.com
Steam cod fish recipe in a superior light soy sauce
Portion for: four persons
Main ingredient: Codfish (fillet) – four pieces
Seasoning items needed
- chicken consomme (or water) – 320 ml
- Soy sauce – 70 ml
- rock sugar – 20 ml
- dark soy sauce – optional a few drops
- spring onion – 2 stalks
- ginger (sliced) – 5 pcs
- coriander – 2 stalks
Garnish for steam cod fish
- Choi sum (Chinese vegetable) – poached
- Spring onion (shredded)
- Marinate the fish fillet with egg white (1), salt (1/4 tsp), sugar (1/4 tsp), sesame oil (a dash) and corn flour (2 tsp)
- Bring marinated cod fish to steam* for about 8 minutes (in a wok or steamer)
- Prepare Steam Fish light soy sauce**
- Sprinkle shredded spring onion on top of codfish and pour piping hot oil over it
- Garnish the dish with choi sum, place the codfish on top
- Pour hot Steamed Fish Light Soy Sauce over codfish and spring onion
* How long you steam a fish depends on the equipment you use and the size of the fillet. So, do a test and trial and you’ll realize your optimal time. But it’s important not to overcook your fish as this could compromise its nutritional value.
** Preparation for Steam Fish Light Soy Sauce
- Heat up your corn/vegetable oil in the work
- Stir-fry ginger, spring onions, and sliced ginger
- Once, it’s fragrant, add in consomme/water
- Pour the sauce over coriander to soak for a half-hour
- Strain the sauce, removing the ginger, spring onion and ginger
Healthy soup recipes for babies
So there you have it: a delicious and simple recipe for steam codfish your family will love. Enjoy!