Steam cod fish by Chef Sam Leong
For our Sunday Cook Off series this week we have a dish from Celebrity Chef Sam Leong. He has cooked for Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, Queen Elizabeth II of England and US presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton. Today, he shares with theAsianparent a quick and easy menu you can cook for your family.
Cod fish is one of the most delicious kinds of sea food around. It is very popular in Singapore, and a favourite choice of mums who want to introduce their little ones to sea food. That’s why we thought of bringing you this wonderfully tasty steam cod fish recipe by one of Singapore’s best known celebrity chefs, Sam Leong, from leading restaurant group, TungLok.
But first, here’s a bit about the nutritional qualities of the cod fish that is used in this delectable steam cod fish recipe.
With a mild, sweet taste, firm flesh and very high nutrition, this fish is perfect for the whole family, even babies who are already on solids.
Cod fish is a superb source of protein. A four-ounce serve of it has over 21 grams of this nutrient. Additionally, it contains vitamin B12, choline and omega-3 fats which are all essential for overall good health, and brain development in little ones.
Portion for: four persons
Main ingredient: Cod fish (fillet) – four pieces
- chicken consomme (or water) – 320 ml
- Soy sauce – 70 ml
- rock sugar – 20 ml
- dark soy sauce – optional a few drops
- spring onion – 2 stalks
- ginger (sliced) – 5 pcs
- coriander – 2 stalks
- Choi sum (chinese vegetable) – poached
- Spring onion (shredded)
- Marinate the fish fillet with egg white (1), salt (1/4 tsp), sugar (1/4 tsp), sesame oil (a dash) and corn flour (2 tsp)
- Bring marinated cod fish to steam* for about 8 minutes (in a wok or steamer)
- Prepare Steam Fish light soy sauce**
- Sprinkle shredded spring onion on top of cod fish and pour piping hot oil over it
- Garnish the dish with choi sum, place the cod fish on top
- Pour hot Steamed Fish Light Soy Sauce over cod fish and spring onion
* How long you steam a fish depends on the equipment you use and the size of the fillet. So, do test and trial and you’ll realize your optimal time. But it’s important not to overcook your fish as this could compromise its nutritional value.
** Preparation for Steam Fish Light Soy Sauce
- heat up your corn / vegetable oil in the work
- stir-fry ginger, spring onions, and sliced ginger
- once, its fragrant, add in consomme / water
- pour the sauce over coriander to soak for half hour
- strain the sauce, removing the ginger, spring onion and ginger
Also read: Healthy soup recipes for babies
So there you have it: a delicious and simple recipe for steam cod fish your family will love. Enjoy!