Singapore President Halimah Yacob shares her favourite healthy recipe with us!
Singapore President Halimah Yacob says, "I would like to share some healthy recipes so that we all can take the first step in living a healthy lifestyle."
Singapore President Halimah Yacob in her latest Facebook post, has urged all Singaporeans to adopt healthy eating habits.
Healthy eating after all does not mean giving up on the food you love.
Madam Halimah Yacob writes, "Good health is a personal responsibility. Healthy living, including eating right and exercising regularly, is important for everyone, and it is possible for all of us to do so by making small changes to our day-to-day living such as opting for healthier meals."
And not just that, she has even shared an extremely simple and healthy recipe, "I would like to share some healthy recipes so that we all can take the first step in living a healthy lifestyle."
Here then is the Singapore President's recipe:
Recipe #1 – Chicken and Vegetable Stew
1 cup (200g) uncooked brown rice
200g chicken breast, pat dry and cut into bite sized pieces
2 tsp oil
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly minced
1⁄2 cauliflower, cut into florets
1 celery stick, chopped into small pieces
1 carrot, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Chilli flakes or fresh chilli, to taste
1. Cook the brown rice according to instructions on the packaging.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a deep pan over medium - high heat, sauté onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Add chicken pieces and cook until chicken pieces are browned.
4. Add vegetables and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 5-10mins, stirring once or twice.
5. Add chilli flakes or fresh chilli to taste. Stir in coriander before serving.
6. Serve with brown rice. Alternatively, stir the brown rice into the stew and serve.
Doesn't that recipe sound delish? Mums and dads, do try it out and let us know your comments! :)
Meanwhile, here are some recommendations on what your healthy plate should look like:
- Fill half your plate with fruit and vegetables.
- Fill a quarter with whole-grains foods such as brown rice, wholemeal bread and rolled oats.
- Fill a quarter with meat and others. This includes poultry (e.g. chicken, duck and turkey), meat (e.g. beef, mutton and pork), seafood, eggs, nuts, bean products and low-fat dairy products.
- Make water your drink of choice. It quenches thirst better than sugar-sweetened beverages. And is of course, healthier.
- If you feel hungry between meals, try snacking on healthy options like wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables, dairy or calcium-rich foods.
(Featured Image of Singapore President Halimah Yacob cooking: Screengrab LIANHE ZAOBAO)
Halimah Yacob: 8 Surprising facts about Singapore's first female President!
'I need my father': Daughter of Death Row Inmate Pens Letter To President Halimah, Asks To 'Let Him Out'
'You can choose to let go if you want to': Benjamin Tan's Mum Still In A Coma After 5 Months
Pregnant Woman Says She Vomited And Had Diarrhoea Over 100 Times After Eating at Eng's Heritage Northpoint City