Man goes blind in right eye after showering with contact lenses on
"If I get my sight back I'll never wear contacts again."
Do you take showers while wearing contact lenses? If so, you may want to kick the habit now.
A man in England caught an eye infection from doing so and lost sight in his right eye as a result.
Man goes blind in one eye after showering with contact lenses on
What Nick Humphreys, 29, thought was a scratch on his right eye in Jan 2018 turned out to be something worse.
Using eye drops and dimming electronic devices' screens didn't improve his condition, so he went to see an optician.
Humphreys was told that he had an ulcer on his eye and he should go to a hospital immediately.
Doctors there diagnosed him with acanthamoeba keratitis, a corneal infection caused by parasites in contaminated water.
If left untreated, the condition can lead to blindness.
Our fantastic Fight for Sight supporter, Nick Humphreys, is raising awareness of the need for correct contact lens care and clearer information on contact lens packaging, after losing his sight in one eye to Acanthamoeba keratitis: https://t.co/ooUYXWlyYF #ContactLenses #AK
— Fight for Sight (@fightforsightUK) July 9, 2019
Despite using disinfectant eye drops for the next few weeks, he suddenly lost sight in his right eye in March 2018.
His infection eventually cleared up, and he has undergone two procedures on his eye. He is scheduled for a corneal transplant next month.
Humphreys is also working with charity Fight for Sight to raise awareness of the potential dangers of wearing contact lenses in the shower.
He said, "If I get my sight back I'll never wear contacts again."
Contact lens mistakes may cost you your sight
Optometrists often warn that contact lenses are medical devices that should be worn with care.
Some common mistakes include sleeping or swimming with lenses on, rinsing lenses with tap water, and wearing them longer than prescribed.
Misuse of contact lenses may lead to infections and blindness.
This article was republished with permission from AsiaOne.