Here's all you need to know about the Singapore schools' Primary 1 English syllabus.
You may find this useful if your little one is entering Primary 1 next year. We have compiled an overview of what is included in the English syllabus of Primary 1.
This information is courtesy of the Singapore Ministry of Education.
Listening and Viewing
1. A Positive Disposition towards Active Listening and Viewing
- Develop a positive disposition by listening and viewing attentively for a sustained period, with empathy and respect, and by indicating response appropriately
2. Listening and Viewing Skills and Strategies
- Develop perception and recognition of sounds and words in context
- Develop listening and viewing for understanding by comprehending and interpreting information through the use of a range of listening and viewing skills and learner strategies to process information from spoken, audio and visual texts
3. Extensive Listening and Viewing
- Listen to, view and respond to a variety of texts in different contexts, i.e., conversations, personal recounts, poetry, narratives and procedures
Reading and Viewing
1. Reading Comprehension and Viewing Skills, Strategies, Attitudes and Behaviour
- Develop Beginning Reading through word identification, including decoding through phonics
- Develop Close Reading and Viewing at literal and inferential levels with scaffolding and support from the teacher during Shared Reading of a variety of children’s literature
- Respond and make personal connections with what is read and/ or viewed
2. Reading and Viewing Different Types of Rich Texts
- Read and view closely reading-age-appropriate selections of literary and informational/ functional texts for children from print and non-print sources
3. Extensive Reading and Viewing
- Read, view and respond to reading-age-appropriate texts and readers, i.e., poetry, personal recounts, narratives, procedures and information reports