How to make a pinata
Pinatas are great fun for children's parties! Not only that, pinatas are actually so easy to make that you can involve the kids too!
Pinatas are great fun for children’s parties! A simple activity where kids can take turns to have a go at it, with the game ending when someone successfully breaks the pinata and releases all the candy, sweets and little toys that were hiding in it.
Not only that, pinatas are actually so easy to make that you should involve the kids too! Just follow these simple instructions and you’ll have a wonderful pinata in no time!
What you need
- 1 balloon
- 2 cups flour
- 3 cups water
- Paint, crayons, or markers
- Colored crepe paper
What you do:
What you do:
- Blow up the large balloon and tie it up at the end.
- Mix the flour and water together until it makes a smooth paste.
- Cut the newspaper into long 1 inch thick strips and dip into the flour/water mixture.
- Carefully place the strips on the balloon until it is covered, leaving a hole at the top and set aside and let the balloon dry.
- Repeat with another 2 layers of newspaper dipped in the mixture and leave it to dry. Make sure you leave the hole at the top uncovered.
- When dry, pop the balloon by spearing a toothpick through the hole and remove the balloon.
- Decorate your pinata with different designs and colors. eg. Use paint, glitter, crepe paper.
- Punch 2 small holes in the top near the opening and string a large piece of string through the two holes.
- Fill your pinata (through the hole you left at the top) with candy, toys, or any other fun surprises. You should also fill with strips of newspaper so the surprises are not all in one location.
- Tie your pinata in the air with the string and have fun!
If you’d like to go a step further and make your pinata in the shape of flowers or animals, use thick colored paper filled with scrunched up newspaper and glue or tape to add any details to your basic pinata structure.
So go ahead and try making one with your kids this holiday, and let us know how yours turned out!