Click on the photo for a list of what a newborn really needs
Baby shower themes
It’s a baby-that’s the theme, right? Well, yes, but let’s think outside the box a bit-or at least make the ‘box’ bigger.
- Spa showers. Treat the mom-to-be (and yourselves) to a manicure or pedicure at a local spa. Enjoy sparkling grape juice and cheese and crackers. Oh, and don’t forget to give her a gift card for a massage or other spa treatments a month or so after the baby arrives.
- Thaw and bake shower. Bring a frozen casserole, lasagna or gift card for a restaurant that does carry out so new moms and dads don’t have to worry about cooking the first few weeks their little bundle of joy is turning their world upside down.
- Toy showers. Decorate using stuffed animals or story books and story book characters-making the décor your gift to the mom-to-be. Ask guests to bring similar gifts; encouraging them to think beyond infancy (age 2 to 4) to give baby something more than what they’ll need those first few months of life. For refreshments…an old-fashioned tea party for little girls and a circus themed fare for little boys.
- “I Remember When” showers. Have guests bring a picture of them during their pregnancy or with their newborn(s) as well as gift similar to their favorite baby shower gift. Have fun sharing stories and memories.
- Traditional showers. Fill the room with pacifiers, baby bottles, diapers, teddy bears and rubber ducks. A good old-fashioned baby shower is often times just what mom wants and needs.
- Hand-made shower. Ask guests to bring gifts that are hand-made (not necessarily by them). Hand-made quilts, blankets, bibs, bonnets, sweaters, wall hangings, busy-books…. These treasures are things than can be handed down for generations to come.
Those crazy baby shower games
Yes, every baby shower needs a few games. When planning the games you will play, you need to keep the following in mind:
- Your guests-will they be grandmas, aunts, older family friends or the younger moms in your circle of friends
- The items needed for the games you want to play. Will you have them on hand or do you need to shop
- Will there be small children present; making some games too difficult or potentially messy
- What is the guest of honor’s personality; fun-loving, reserved, shy, never meets a stranger? Plan games accordingly
The internet is full of ideas for fun and enjoyable baby shower games to suit any crowd. Below are some websites you can go to to find the games that will be perfect for the shower you are hosting.
Food and décor
The theme of the shower will usually dictate the food and décor for the shower, but again, it is best to take the mom-to-be into consideration. Having a few of her favorite treats or using her favorite colors are always a nice touch.
A baby is a precious gift…a treasure that should be celebrated. So enjoy and let the love and friendship you share be passed on to the new life coming into this world.