Feast better: 5 merry ideas for a healthy, organic Christmas dinner
Happy healthy holidays, from us to you.
The time to eat, drink, and be merry is almost upon us! Here comes the holiday binge – and its resulting bulge.
But don’t lose ho-ho-hope. It may be impossible to resist the dessert spread at your office party or your childhood comfort food at family gatherings, but you can control what’s served at your Christmas table.
Here are some healthy Christmas dinner menus we’ve put together for the holidays. We worked with FairPrice On, so you won’t even have go out of your way to make the magic happen.
Access better feasting in just a few clicks; and get fresh and quality ingredients dropped off at your doorstep. Delivery is free if you spend over $39 (offer valid for a limited time only).
- Fill the feast with fresh veggies, organic if available. These can take the place of carbohydrate-laden crowd-pleasers like lasagna or other creamy pasta dishes and hearty sides like mashed potatoes.
- Get creative! Try your hand at creating a salad wreath, a mini Christmas broccoli tree, a Caprese salad in the shape of a candy cane, or any other Yule-themed masterpiece that comes to mind.
- There are more ways to serve decadence than a molten lava cake. So you don’t feel the need to fill the table with food, DIY a stylish setting that’s a feast for the eyes. All you’ll need are a few festive centrepieces, artfully strewn pine boughs and ornaments, plus candles or fairy lights.
- A festive table also allows you to use smaller plates for better portion control. Your guests will have full plates but not that overly full feeling after a big meal.
- Feast as nature intended with the wealth of organic options available on the market. It’s now amazingly easy to serve delicious, super healthy, naturally grown ingredients from farm to Christmas table.
- Don’t stop at organic veggies and meat – festive organic delights such as champagne, wine, dark chocolate, berry tea, and even lollies for the little ones, are the perfect endings to your feast.
- Put your own healthy spin to traditional recipes by choosing to employ less indulgent cooking methods such as roasting and grilling instead of frying. Also try using herbs instead of sauces and seasonings to flavour your savoury dishes.
Desserts and drinks are calorie caches, so use substitute ingredients where you can: Greek yogurt instead of cream, soy or almond milk, whole wheat or coconut flour, homemade ginger beer from ginger cordial and sparkling water – tons of healthy possibilities await.
- Healthy snacks are a great way to make your feast bigger and better. Build on a deli platter with other grazing favourites like cheeses and organic munchies like nuts, chips, crackers, dried fruits, cereals, and chocolates, for a gorgeous appetiser spread.
- Give your guests the gift of health by stuffing their stockings with alternatives to rich and overly processed ingredients. Raw honey, granola, cold-pressed coconut oil, even organic brown rice extend the experience of better feasting from your home to theirs.
For more festive ideas, check out the FairPrice On Christmas corner. Don’t forget to use Promo Code SHOPON for your first order, to get $10 off plus free delivery with a $49 minimum spend. For succeeding orders, you can still get free delivery with a minimum spend of $39 (for a limited time only).
Since FairPrice On is all about best value and convenience, you can also opt for ‘Click & Collect’ to schedule and pick-up your items from one of over 70 collection points in case no one will be able to receive your order. This service is free for orders above $29.
Happy healthy holidays, Mum!