Tired of the same old meals for your baby and want to try something new and exciting? This baby food recipe is perfect for you, if you want to spice it up a little but still cook something suitable for junior. Don't worry, it's not too hot for your little one to handle. Suitable for babies 9 months and above. Enjoy!
For 2 portions from 9 months:
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
1 small white onion
1/2 tspn grated ginger
1 small clove of garlic
1 large chopped tomato
1/2 tspn tumeric powder
1/2 tspn coriander powder
1/2 cup of deboned chicken
1 small peeled and chopped sweet potato
1. In a pan, add a tspn of oil and put half a spoon of cumin seeds once the oil is hot.
2. Chop half a small onion and fry along with the seeds.
3. Now add half a teaspoon of grated ginger and one small clove of finely chopped garlic. Cook for 7 mins.
4. Add one chopped large tomato. Stir for 1 minute till it becomes a sauce, then add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and half a teaspoon of coriander powder and sauté the masalas.
5. Now add the chicken and chopped sweet potato. Add 1 cup of water, put the lid on and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
6. Add finely chopped coriander at the end and stir through.
7. Blend or mash with a masher depending on how your baby likes it.
8. Serve with rice or some torn up bread.
Recipe by Kim Wilshaw
This mummy started creating her own recipes after she started weaning her children. It all came about after becoming a full time mum. She was unable to find any cookbooks that used spices. With an Indian background, she wanted her children to understand spices from the beginning but also appreciate all other world cuisines. Check out her blog at www.feedingindianbaby.blogspot.com
Other articles that may interest you: