Your baby’s early years, that is the age of 0 to 3 years, are crucial for building the brain. Whatever your little one sees, touches, tastes, smells or hears facilitates in shaping the brain for thinking, feeling, moving and learning. While it continues even after your little one is all big and grown up, brain development for kids actually begins when they are in the womb.
Brain development for kids: How to boost it at different stages in your baby’s life?
When you are carrying your little one inside you, a lot is going on inside that tiny body. The foetal brain goes through various developmental stages.
So, a healthy, balanced diet that fulfills your nutritional needs and your baby’s is important during pregnancy. You should include enough healthy fat in your diet as it is required for your baby’s faster development and for healthier nerve connections.
Give your baby’s brain development a boost by eating these types of food during pregnancy:
1. Fatty fish: It’s a rich source of DHA that helps your baby’s brain develop normally. Check with your doctor about how much fish is safe for you.
2. Green leafy vegetables: These are high on folic acid, which are also crucial for the healthy brain development for kids.
3.Milk: This provides your baby with iodine that is crucial for a healthy brain along with many other benefits.
Apart from these, you can also take supplements such as chicken essence. Chicken essence has carnosine that is found in muscle and brain tissue in babies. Consuming chicken essence can also help you in various ways during your pregnancy.
In infants and young children below 5 years
Your baby’s brain starts developing at an unparalleled rate as your little one is making around 100,000 neural connections a day. During this period, breastfeeding your little one is extremely important as breast milk is essential for your baby’s overall growth.
So, you can consume foods that boost lactation such as oats, garlic, moringa, green leafy vegetables, fenugreek seeds and so on. Drinking plenty of water is also good for lactating mums. Consuming supplements or tonics like chicken essence can also help in increasing milk production in nursing mothers.
List of foods to feed your young child for healthy brain development:
1. Salmon: Fatty fish like salmon are great sources of omega 3 fatty acid, DHA and EPA that are crucial for your child’s brain development. Once your child has achieved the milestone of eating finger foods, you can get creative with salmon preparations like a salmon patty or salad or even soup.
2. Whole grains: The brain needs a constant supply of glucose and that’s exactly what whole grains do for your child. You can use a variety of whole grains in your child’s food. Try making tasty, whole grain porridge or whole grain flour pancakes for your little one.
3. Yogurt: Protein and carbohydrate are the preferred source of energy for your child’s brain. Yogurt is high on both, making it a great food to boost your little one’s brain development.
Introducing your tot to supplements or tonics like chicken essence can also help you in supporting a healthy brain development for kids. You can also mix chicken essence in solid foods for your baby above the age of one year. Carnosine in chicken essence also combats the free radicals in the body.
Consult your pediatrician if your child has any special needs.
During childhood between the age of 5 to 10 years
Although your little one’s learning slows down after the age of 5, it is still 10 times that of an adult. Your child is still making around 10,000 to 50,000 neural connections in a day.
Support your growing child’s brain development by offering these foods:
1. Eggs: Rich in protein content, eggs can be served in various ways such as boiled, scrambled, adding them to sandwiches or salads, and so on. You can also add them to meals by making an egg rice or curry.
2. Nuts and seeds: Most parents avoid exposing their younger kids to nuts and seeds because of allergy risks. But you can include these in the diet of older kids. Nuts and seeds are loaded with brain boosting nutrients like protein, fatty acids, and vitamins to name a few.
3. Fruits: As your child develops eating skills, you can regularly feed them smaller fruits like berries. Fruits like apples and plums have antioxidants that promote mental alertness.
Keep in mind that at this age you should avoid foods that are sugary and have added colouring or chemicals. You can add tonics like chicken essence to their diet to fulfill any nutritional insufficiencies.
Children above 10 years of age
The brain development for kids continues through the teenage years right up to the age of 25. This is a period when your child’s personality is shaped by external factors.
In this age, you can almost feed everything to your child that can help them with concentration and alertness. Some foods that boost these include fish, nuts, avocado, whole grains, berries, Mental fatigue, tiredness, and lack of alertness can affect the overall performance of your child. Your child has a high need for foods that increase brain power.
So, apart from brain boosting foods, you can also give your child chicken essence that helps combat most of these issues.
One of the best chicken essences for your child as well as your whole family is Tian Yuan Xiang Chicken Essence.
- It tastes like chicken soup without the strong fishy smell
- It’s made from self-raised and free range chicken
- It consists of pure essence without adding water
- Oil removal process, first by hand and then by machine, makes it more healthy
- There are no applied chemicals or hormones
- It’s low on calories, sodium and cholesterol
- It comes in tailor-made flavours to cater to the whole family
So, make sure that your little one gets ample brain food. As and when required, don’t hesitate to couple it with tonics and supplements like chicken essence that can be perfect to boost your child’s brain development across different stages in life.