Over 100 eye parasites sought new home. A 62-year-old woman in China endured what she thought was run-of-the-mill yet chronic case of eye itching and redness for two years until doctors found out that it was something more serious.
The woman, who’s referred to as Ms. Xu in previous reports, sought medical help when nothing she tried, not even medical eyedrops, seemed to work to ease the itching and minimize redness.
The cause of her persistent eye discomfort? Over 100 parasites that had been breeding on her eyelashes.
These eye parasites, which they found to be eye mites, would clump together on each lash, causing what was later diagnosed as blepharitis and conjunctivitis.
Blepharitis is redness and inflammation of the eyelids; conjunctivitis is redness and inflammation of the conjuctiva. The conjunctiva is the eyelid’s inner lining.
Despite the gravity of her condition, doctors found that preventing it could have been simple. If only she washed her pillowcase and made sure her room had proper ventilation, then it could have been prevented.
As it turns out, it’s highly likely that the mites started breeding on her pillowcase, which was left unwashed for four to five years, and transferred onto her eyelashes with prolonged use.
As of this writing, Ms. Xu has undergone treatment and is recovering well.
Eye parasites and other hygiene-related diseases
Parasitic infestations aren’t the only dangers brought about by poor hygiene. Improper home and personal hygiene can cause food poisoning, pneumonia, chronic diarrhea, skin infections, worm infestations, hepatitis A, gastroenteritis and even, a simple case of the common cold.
The signs of poor personal hygiene are improper handwashing, refusal to shower or wash one’s hair regularly.
What’s more, poor domestic hygiene habits could lead to illness. Examples are not taking out the trash or improper food storage. In the case of Ms. Xu infrequent laundering of beddings and clothing.
This is why it’s very important for parents to instill good hygiene habits in their kids. Not only does it foster cleanliness and orderliness, it can help ensure their good health as they grow up!