As parents, raising healthy kids outranks any other priority. Your ultimate goal is always to ensure your child’s safety and health. In fact, most of you might always keep a first-aid kit handy. However, despite all the care, even minor issues like cold, fever or bloating can stress you out. It can leave you wondering whether you should see a pediatrician urgently or wait it out.
Either way, it’s always advisable to avoid taking a chance and contact a reliable pediatrician the first chance you get. This proactiveness will ensure that any minor to major illnesses is treated immediately.
In fact, many parents make it a rule to visit pediatricians regularly to ensure their kids are examined for overall health as well as checked for any underlying issue. As per the Health Department records, about 93 percent of kids consulted a paediatrician in 2019; as most parents preferred to see a paediatrician on a regular basis.
But how do you narrow down the best paediatrician? Fret not, we’re here to help.
How to choose the best pediatrician in Singapore?
Choosing the right paediatrician for your baby ensures that he/she’ll be taken care of for a long time.
When you’re looking for the best paediatrician in Singapore, consider the one who is experienced, recommended by most parents/your OB-GYN, approachable and certified in paediatrics.
You should also consider additional factors like the clinic location, consultation cost, services offered, and availability of appointments.
Top 10 Pediatricians in Singapore
This carefully researched list of the top paediatricians in Singapore will help you find the right paediatrician for your little one.
Dr Ooi Pei Ling
Dr Ooi Pei Ling specialises in pediatric medicine and sub-specialises in pediatric rheumatology. She is best known for treating kids with general health conditions like prolonged fevers, allergy, autoimmune diseases, vasculitis, and chronic musculoskeletal pain. This, in addition to musculoskeletal inflammation, systemic lupus erythematosus, and Kawasaki’s diseases among others.
With MBBS, M Med and MRCPCH accreditations, she is also known for her experience in immunomodulation therapy. You can also refer to Dr Ooi for joint injections and biologics.
- General pediatric conditions and pediatric rheumatic diseases.
- Experienced in biologics, immunomodulation therapy, and joint injections.
- A visiting consultant for pediatric rheumatology at the National University Hospital (NUH).
- Speaks Malay, English, and Mandarin.
Dr Wendy Liew
A Paediatrician and Child Neurologist with over 19 years of clinical experience, Dr Liew is proficient not only in routine newborn care, vaccination, well-baby check-ups, and common childhood illnesses, but also specialises in managing children with neurological diseases, such as headaches, epilepsy (seizures), developmental delays, and neuromuscular diseases.
- General paediatric conditions as well as childhood neurological diseases.
- Trained at Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA under the Health. Manpower Development Award from the Ministry of Health.
Dr Mohana D/O Rajakulendra
A member of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health (UK) and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Dr Mohana is one of the top paediatricians in Singapore.
Renowned for treating a wide range of allergy services for diagnosis and management of food, drug, respiratory and skin allergies and Dr Mohana is known for her gentle and kind manner, which is comforting to first-time parents. Dr Mohana is a paediatrician with a soft, gentle approach towards infants and young children.
Well-liked by their parents for her detailed and thorough consultations. Dr Mohana specialises in the treatment of paediatric allergic conditions and respiratory allergies. Other than general routine newborn checks, vaccinations and developmental screenings, Dr Mohana also treats common paediatric conditions such as fevers, coughs, colds and gastroenteritis.
- General paediatric conditions, paediatric food and drug allergies, respiratory allergies.
- Dust mite immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis.
- Blood tests, skin prick tests, developmental screenings, and vaccinations.
- Speaks English and Tamil.
Dr Petrina Wong
With over 15 years of training in various pediatric specialities, sub-speciality training in pediatric sleep medicine (US) and European Diploma from the European Respiratory Society, Dr Petrina Wong ensures that all your child’s health needs are met.
Cough, asthma, wheezing, lung infections, parasomnias, snoring, behavioural sleep disorders, sleep apnoea and many other illnesses are evaluated and treated by her.
- Sleep conditions and respiratory illnesses.
- 15+ years of experience in multiple pediatric specialities.
- Certified as a polysomnologist in clinical sleep health.
- Postgraduate training and experience in children’s emergency, pediatric sub-specialities, pediatric intensive care and neonatology.
Dr Dave Ong
||Treating Respiratory Conditions e.g. asthma, bronchitis, recurrent wheeze, chronic cough, Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Conditions e.g. allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, Skin Conditions e.g. atopic eczema, Newborn Care, Growth & Development Follow-up, Feeding Problems, Vaccinations
Dr Dave’s clinic is open in the evenings on select weekdays and on Sundays to cater to busy working parents. He is experienced in treating a wide range of specialised and general paediatric conditions.
He strongly believes in giving the most effective treatment that is available for every child based on the child’s age and weight, the medical diagnosis, the severity of the condition and other important factors such as cost, the social set-up as well as the preferences of the family.
It is an added advantage that Dr Dave is loved by his patients for his bedside manners and excellent communication.
He is passionate about empowering parents with the knowledge and skills of preventive paediatrics, and an understanding of the normal growth and developmental milestones so that they can deal with all these and knowing what to expect for the first five years of their child’s life.
- General paediatrics, neonatal and pediatric resuscitations (emergencies).
- Patient communication skills, and bedside manners.
- NUS YLLSoM Dean’s Award, NUHS Young Clinician Mentor Award, NUS YLLSoM Special Recognition Award, Nestle Gold Medal for Pediatrics among others.
- Speaks Mandarin and English.
Dr Anita Menon
From newborn examinations, childhood illnesses and vaccinations to infectious diseases, developmental assessments and sports medical examinations, Dr Anita Menon provides excellent childcare services and treatments.
She also provides vaccinations and medical advice if you’re travelling to other countries.
Her love for kids and ability to make them feel comfortable instantly has won the hearts of many kids and parents alike.
- Wide range of pediatric treatments, sports/school-entry examinations, adoption assessments and developmental assessments.
- Pediatric travel clinic.
- Training and work experience in the UK and Ireland, 25+ years of pediatric practice.
- Loving and approachable, excellent communication.
- Speaks English, Mandarin and other Chinese dialects.
His patients affectionately call him Dr Siva, that’s how loving and approachable he is!
Most parents recommend him for pediatric treatments owing to his way with kids and treatment without over-prescription.
He provides treatment for a host of pediatric illnesses and also gives you the option to consult three of his supporting paediatricians in case you need a second opinion. He is undoubtedly one of the top paediatricians in Singapore.
- Consultant paediatrician and neonatologist.
- Does not over-prescribe any medication.
Dr Chiang Wen Ching
For first-grade allergy management and treatments, look no further. Dr Chiang Wen Ching is a specialist in drug and food allergies. She also examines kids for allergic rhinitis, immunotherapy, eczema, asthma and immunodeficiency.
With a host of awards and achievements in her name, she handles kids with common pediatric illnesses and allergies.
- Food, drug and all other allergies, and surgery.
- 2006 HMDP fellowship award by Singapore’s Ministry of Health, 2009 KK Hospital EXSA service Award 2009, member of Singapore’s Allergy and Clinical Immunology Society, and others.
- Speaks Mandarin Chinese and English.
Dr Ong Ian
One of the best paediatricians in Singapore, Dr Ong Ian – a mother of two kids – sure knows how to lovingly examine your child.
With over five years of pediatric practice in London and postgraduate training in Singapore in children’s emergency, neonatology, pediatric medicine, pediatric intensive care and pediatric sub-specialities, Dr Ong Ian offers excellent healthcare services and treatment for your little one.
- General paediatrics, infant nutrition and feeding, neonatology and pediatric intensive care.
- 5+ years of practice in London.
- A mother of two children.
Dr Natalie Epton
For expert advice on child nutrition and development or neonatal intensive care services, Dr Natalie Epton is the best. Being a mother of three children, she brings her personal knowledge onto the table along with exceptional qualifications in her field.
Her love for treating children and enhancing young lives makes her a highly admirable and recommended paediatrician in Singapore.
- General paediatrics, early childhood/infant development, neonatology, and behaviour and nutrition.
- Work experience at the International Pediatric Clinic, award-winning research
- A mother of three kids.
- One of the first Singapore doctors to have received advanced accreditation in neonatology and pediatrics.
We are sure this curated list of some of the best paediatricians in Singapore will help you. After all, we are equally determined to help you in your journey to raising happy and healthy kids.
Also read: Maternity Hospitals in Singapore: A Comprehensive Guide for New Parents