If you're a parent who finds yourself yelling at your kids too often, you need to read this article!
Are you the type of parent who finds yourself yelling at your kids way too often?
Do you have difficulty communicating with your child/children?
Well, you’re not alone.
There are probably many, many parents like you out there. The thing is, yelling at your kids doesn’t really work as a discipline method.
So what does then? Before we get to that, let’s discuss communication.
Communication is to discipline and parenting what location is to real estate… EVERYTHING! It is the act of sharing your thoughts and feelings with another person.
When communicating with your child, you are sharing your thoughts and feelings regarding their attitudes, actions and response to you (or the lack thereof).
How we communicate
As parents, most of us may use several forms of communication:
- The ‘look’: This usually works best on children over the age of 5
- Coercion and bribery: “If you will do this for me, I will do that for you”
- Harsh lectures and nagging
- Firm but gentle words of instruction
- Discipline and consequences for misbehavior
However, not all these forms are effective, especially yelling at your kids.