With his first step into a preschool, your little one is embarking on a whole new journey. At this point, his preschool teacher needs to be his confidant, caretaker, mentor and friend all rolled into one.
Your little one is growing up and is almost ready to go to preschool. You are understandably a tad anxious.
At this point, your kid’s preschool teacher becomes the most important partner of your parenting journey. The little one’s first experience with his new teacher can literally make or break his interest in education and lifelong learning.
The qualities that you should look for in your child’s preschool teacher include:
- She makes the children feel welcome at school and helps nurture their self confidence; helps them overcome separation anxiety.
- She takes the time to talk to the children; she listens to their many questions and answers them patiently.
- She can guide small groups of children to help maximize the learning experience. She should be able to get the shy ones to to talk and the talkative ones to listen.
- She is able to innovatively apply existing curriculum to help develop your child’s early language and literacy skills.
- She keeps you informed about your child’s progress and brings to your attention any special concerns or achievements regarding him.
- She is responsive to your concerns.
My First Skool, an anchor operator with over 120 pre-schools nationwide, understands this and prides itself in having a team of high quality teachers who inspire, who care and who are extremely passionate about what they do. Their award winning teachers provide your children with very high quality personal care and innovative learning experiences.
The teachers at My First Skool undergo structured termly training. There is also a mentorship program within each centre where the deputy centre leads guide the trainee or new teachers.
You can count on me
My First Skool at Blk 676 Hougang Avenue 8 won the ECDA Early Childhood Innovation Award 2014 Commendation for its project: You can count on me.
The project is designed specifically to introduce mathematical concepts to pre-schoolers using traditional and contemporary games and gadgets. Building on children’s prior knowledge of mathematical concepts, it helps them learn numbers from 1 to 100 through interesting games such as Bingo Lotto. The children also learn about patterns through simple games such as sandwich sticks patterning.
The teachers go a step further under this project and build home-school partnership through a repackaging of these games, so that the children can take them home. This helps increase parental involvement in the children’s learning as well as encouraging the family to have some fun quality time together.
Click on next page to find out more about the innovative and dedicated teachers at My First Skool.