Many of us know the importance of breakfast in jumpstarting our day. But Mums and Dads, are you aware of what constitutes a healthy breakfast? Find out more by watching this last installment of a three-part video series for expert advice on the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast foods, particularly whole grains, in providing both the nourishment your family needs to boost their day and lifelong advantages.
Breakfast is the most essential meal of our day as it helps us fuel up for our activities – this means we have to eat it right. To have a balanced and healthy breakfast, ingredients from the four main food groups – such as fruits/vegetables, meat, dairy and grains – have to be served up on our plates.
The key to a healthy and balanced diet
Many studies, such as this one from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, show that health benefits are aplenty when it comes to consuming grains, particularly whole grains. Some of them include:
- A variety of nutrients, essential mineral and vitamins
- Providing energy throughout the day
- Helping to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes
- Improving digestion
- Helping to maintain body weight
Yet, with all the goodness surrounding whole grains, did you know that 94% of children in Singapore eat less than the recommended intake of whole grains daily?
If you’re wondering how to include more whole grains into your family’s meals; watch this video as Ms Gladys Wong, dietician at the Singapore Nutrition & Dietetic Association, offers a quick and simple solution to ensuring that your loved ones eat up their whole grains.
To hit the 48 grams of recommended intake of whole grains per day:
- Start your mornings with a bowl of whole grain breakfast cereal
- Followed by 2 slices of whole meal bread for lunch
- Lastly, 1 portion of brown rice or whole grain alphabet pasta with soup for dinner!
So easy – right, Mums?
Breeze through the mornings with these tips
To get through busy days without breaking a sweat, here’s a tasty and convenient breakfast – or even afternoon tea – recipe that your child will love. What makes this yummy breakfast even more awesome is that it’s prepared with ingredients from the four main food groups!
All you need are:
- A ready-to-eat whole grain breakfast cereal
- Junior’s favourite snacks like fruits and nuts
- Milk or yoghurt
Most importantly, it’s also made with a dash of tender loving care that ensures your family gets the nutrients they require to be healthy and happy!