Pregnancy week 27: Your week by week pregnancy guide
Your baby has just discovered thumb-sucking, which can be beneficial (yes!). As for you, mum, your discomfort increases from swelling hands and feet to having restless leg syndrome. Welcome to your third trimester!
Congrats on starting your third trimester and welcome to pregnancy week 27. Another three more months to go, you are almost there!
This week your baby is now about the size of a cauliflower, measuring between 36.7 cm – 37.5 cm and weighing 894g.
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you’ll learn that:
- Your baby’s auditory ability is getting stronger by the day, especially at pregnancy week 27.
- He/she will start his cycle of hiccups and respond to the food you consume. If you try spicy food, you might feel a belly spasm, but it’s just a hiccup.
- He/she has also just discovered thumb sucking. It’s not as bad as it sounds because it actually helps strengthen his/her jaws and cheeks.
- You will feel a tight grip in your uterus for as long as a couple of minutes. It’s not painful, but definitely discomforting. These are called Braxton-Hicks contractions. They prepare the uterus for actual contractions, so relax.
- You will see mild swelling in your ankle, feet, and hands. This is due to a condition called edema. It usually occurs when fluid is accumulated in your body due to increased blood flow and uterine pressure on your vena cava.
- You are still experiencing inflammation, swelling or bleeding in the gums. Although it starts from the second trimester, this problem may continue until after delivery.
- Your legs may become jittery and tingle a bit–this is called restless leg syndrome. It could be due to iron deficiency.
- To strengthen the gums, practice good dental care. Visit the doctor if bleeding persists, and floss every time you eat.
- If you are experiencing restless leg syndrome, try some gentle exercises to relieve yourself of body aches.
- Start doing your research into placenta encapsulation if you are interested. If you want to know more about the process and which companies offer the services, click here.
- Consult the doctor for information on breast milk. Now is when you will experience hormonal growth and therefore breast milk formation.
Your next week: 28 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 26 weeks pregnant
Do you have questions on this week by week pregnancy guide? What are your current concerns, mums? Leave us a comment below!