Pregnancy week 26: Your week by week pregnancy guide
Do you want to know if you can tell your baby's eye color as early as now? This is the week for that. As for you, mum, it's a great time to shop and enjoy the last week of your second trimester!
Your bump now is clearly visible making it harder for you to walk, sit or sleep. But don’t let that stop you from doing some light exercises.
This week your baby is now about the size of a lettuce, measuring between 36.5 cm – 36.7 cm and roughly weighing about 762g – 867g.
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you’ll learn that:
- You won’t be able to tell your baby’s eye colour until he/she is six months out of your womb. But now that he/she can open his/her eyes, there is nothing much to see inside the uterus.
- His/her hearing system (cochlea and peripheral sensory organs), which started developing in the 18th week, is now completely formed.
- The air sacs of the lungs, called alveoli, will be completely developed by the end of this week.
- You will see an extremely protruding bump. Your uterus will be about 6.35 cm above the belly button.
- You are an insomniac because you are (and have been) working your way through backaches, heartburn, and leg cramps. These make it difficult to drift off peacefully.
- You are experiencing high blood pressure. It is probably still lower than before you conceived, but you may have to check for preeclampsia.
- You are experiencing round ligament pain, which is caused by your expanding uterus.
- Is your vision becoming blurry? This is probably because hormones decrease tear production, and this leads to dry eyes.
- Keep a check on your food and exercise to strengthen the walls of your uterus in preparation for the birth.
- If you are experiencing the round ligament pain, try to do some gentle exercises to prepare the pelvic bone.
- Fix up a time for a maternity photoshoot.
- It is time to go shopping, again! Yes, you have to dress that bump and the protruding belly from prying eyes.
- Set up a maternity tour of your hospital.
Your next week: 27 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 25 weeks pregnant
Do you have questions on this week by week pregnancy guide? What are your current concerns, mums? Leave us a comment below!