Pregnancy week 24: Your week by week pregnancy guide
Your baby, who is the size of a small watermelon, now has eyelashes. Read on to know more about what to expect during this week.
Mum, your libido may decrease because of all the discomfort you are feeling. Distract yourself by planning your birth (as much as you can) and start thinking up of names, if you haven't already. Welcome to pregnancy week 24!
How Big is Your Baby?
Your little one is the size of a small watermelon now. He/she is around 30 cm and weighs 598 g.
Your Baby's Development
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you'll learn that:
- Your baby's face is now completely formed. The ears are also in place, and he is able to pick up sounds more effectively now.
- His/her eyes and eyelashes are also formed, although the eyelids are closed. He/she will also start REM (rapid eye movement) during this week.
- His/her brain is growing rapidly.
- His/her tastebuds are fully developed by the time you reach pregnancy week 24.
- By now, his/her lungs are developing branches and the respiratory tree.
- Babies born at 24 weeks have a 50-50 chance of survival.
- Your bump is quite prominent. Your belly button will pop since the uterus is pushing everything in its path. By this week you would have gained seven to eight kilograms overall to your average weight.
- You will notice some visible stretch marks on your belly and breasts. You will also notice a dark line called linea negra between your pubic bone and belly button.
- Your libido will drop drastically because you are feeling tired and achy.
- If you have not noticed any vaginal discharge yet before this week, then you will notice high levels of it now.
- To keep the body healthy and reduce stretch marks, add more milk, cheese and soya in your diet. Pile up on Vitamin C, and eat as much greens as possible.
- If you have red itchy palms, avoid anything that creates more heat in your body.
- Sign up for a glucose test to determine if you have gestational diabetes. This condition occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin to regulate sugar levels.
- Hydrate as much as possible. Drink lots of water to cover for the unusual thirst you will experience this week.
Your next week: 25 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 23 weeks pregnant
Do you have questions on this week by week pregnancy guide? What are your current concerns, mums? Leave us a comment below!