Pregnancy week 21: Your week by week pregnancy guide
Did you know that your baby's length is now measured from the crown of his head to his tiny heels? Read on to know more.
Find out what you can be doing about those pesky stretch marks and varicose veins as you approach pregnancy week 21!
At 21 weeks, your baby is as big as a bunch of grapes. He/she is around 26 cm and weighs around 360 g.
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you’ll learn that:
- Your baby has formed eyebrows and eyelids, which allows him to blink.
- Now your baby sleeps as much as a newborn, almost 12 to 14 hours daily.
- Your baby’s taste buds allow him/her to taste a variety of flavours based on what you eat and what enters the amniotic fluid.
- His/her movements, which initially felt like flutters, are gaining intensity; you can feel them more now.
- His/her bone marrow, liver and spleen start to work at your pregnancy week 21.
- If you are carrying a baby girl, she already has a lifetime’s supply of eggs in her womb.
- Stretch marks are appearing. As your skin gets pulled, it becomes thinner and itchier! But don’t worry, stretch marks can be managed.
- Pregnancy acne also appears thanks to the increased oil production on the skin.
- You see bluish veins which could be the beginning of varicose veins. As your pregnancy progresses, the increasing pressure on the veins in your legs and higher progesterone levels cause the walls of your veins to relax, giving rise to this condition.
- Think about joining an antenatal class to know more about pregnancy and connect with other mums-to-be.
- Frequently wash your face using a mild cleanser to keep your skin oil-free. Do this week by week pregnancy guide tip religiously to keep your pregnancy glow.
- To help prevent or minimise varicose veins, exercise daily and prop up your feet whenever possible.
- Encourage your partner to talk to your baby. It will allow him to bond with your unborn child better.
- Listen to soothing music to help you relax.
- Avoid spicy and greasy food to manage heartburn better.
- If you are going back to work after your maternity break, this is the time to start looking at infant care options.
Your next week: 22 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 20 weeks pregnant
Do you have questions on this week by week pregnancy guide? What are your current concerns, mums? Leave us a comment below!