Pregnancy week 17: Your week by week pregnancy guide
Your is trading his/her rubbery cartilages for hardening bones. The umbilical cord is also stronger and thicker. As for you, find out whether high-heeled shoes are advisable for you in this stage of your pregnancy.
Ooh, now your baby is beefing up! You’re at pregnancy week 17 already. And, you know what that means? Lots of new surprises and a fast-growing baby bump.
Your baby is now the size of a large onion, at about 13cm in height and about 140g in weight. Now is a good time to think if want to know your baby’s gender.
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you’ll learn that:
- Your baby’s air passage is now ready to take in oxygen instead of amniotic fluid.
- His/her bones have started hardening—a process called ossification. His/her legs and inner ears will be the first to ossify.
- At this stage, his/her nerves will now be forming myelin—a protective layer of protein and fatty substances that insulate nerves to promote quick and efficient transmission of electrical impulses–which is vital for his/her nervous system to function properly post-birth.
- Also, his/her umbilical cord is becoming stronger and thicker at pregnancy week 17.
- Scans will become more exciting as your doctor will be listening for your munchkin’s heartbeat.
- As your baby grows, chances are that so will you! Get ready for those extra kilos.
- This is also the time when those much-dreaded stretch marks make an appearance.
- The increased blood flow in your body is accompanied by an increased discharge of bodily fluids such as vaginal discharge, sweat, and mucus.
- Time to check in with your doctor to see if all your prenatal vitamins supplements are adequately meeting your nutrient’s needs, as well as your baby’s.
- If you are still wearing high heels, it is probably a good time to ditch them for low-heeled or flat footwear. This is the time that your centre of gravity has shifted courtesy of the extra weight you’re carrying.
- You and your husband should decide on whether you want to know your baby’s gender.
Your next week: 18 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 16 weeks pregnant
Do you have questions on this week by week pregnancy guide? What are your current concerns, mums? Leave us a comment below!