The end of year holiday season is right around the corner and with high vaccination rates and Vaccinated Travel Lanes (VTL) in place, Singaporeans are psyched to get back out there.
A new study from Tripadvisor reveals that Singaporeans feel hopeful, cautious and excited about returning to travel.
Tripadvisor, the world’s largest travel platform, today released findings from its Seasonal Travel Index for the end of year holiday season, revealing travel trends and providing Singaporeans with insight into what’s popular, trendy and bookable in the months ahead.
This season’s index reveals that – with every passing day – travel is making a comeback. Almost three-quarters (72%) of Singaporean travellers in a recent Tripadvisor survey have already begun researching their year-end vacations.
Image source: iStock
With VTLs available, Singaporeans are no longer settling for local trips. It appears true vacation getaways are coming back en vogue.
Nearly half (48%) of Singaporeans are planning to take an international trip, compared with the 44% looking to stay local.
The revenge travel mindset combined with the yearning to see something different from the daily work-from-home setup will see more Singaporeans wanting to spend more time outdoors.
When surveyed, the most popular trip types chosen by Singaporeans were the beach (50%) and the great outdoors (47%). The least popular choices were golf resorts (11%) and ski resorts (13%).
Interesting travel trends we’re seeing:
- Singaporeans travel with their tummies – the top 3 important factors when choosing a holiday destination are COVID-19 safety mandates (57%), COVID-19 case rates in destination (47%) and food (37%).
- Most popular travel dates are 3 December, 24 December and 31 December, timed around the school summer break and festive season.
- Singaporeans are looking for a different view. Some of the most searched accommodation types include resorts and boutique hotels.
- Singaporeans are spending SGD 1014 on average on their year-end trip
- The further the better. Some of the most popular international trips that Singaporeans are planning to book once borders open include London, Munich, Amsterdam and San Francisco.
Image source: iStock
Top 10 Trending Destinations (Based On Year-On-Year Growth):
- New York City
- San Francisco
The data cited in this release was gathered and analysed from two key sources:
- A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 2,400 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between 5th October, 2021through 14th October, 2021 across 8 countries (United States United Kingdom Australia Japan Italy Singapore Germany India)
- Site behavioral data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform, gathered during the week commencing 18 Oct, 2021, for searches made by SG travellers from 1 Sept, 2021 through 15 Oct, 2021 for travel between 1 Nov, 2021 through 31 Jan, 2022.
Children Under 12 Years Will Now Be Allowed To Travel Quarantine-Free Under Vaccinated Travel Scheme
Understanding The Pandemic Stress Level In Singapore: Traveloka Tackles The Issue Through #BreakawaywithTraveloka