An excellent source of amino acids, iron, calcium and other micronutrients, tofu is a versatile ingredient with many health benefits. If you kids think tofu recipes are boring and bland, why not give these recipes a try? They are sure to have your kids asking for more!
1. Tofu Nuggets
- 500 gms Hard tofu, Cut into cubes
- 2 Eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 sheets Seaweed wrap, cut into strips
- Canola Oil
- 1 cup Flour
- Chopped Parsley
- 200 gms Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Bell pepper chopped finely
- Salt, Sugar, Pepper to taste
- Water, as needed
- Cut hard tofu into 1inch by 1.5 inches and 1 cm thickness, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut seaweed wrap the same size as the tofu and wrap the tofu with seaweeds
- Dip tofu wrap in scrabbled eggs, dredge with flour and roll into bread crumbs
- In a pan heat up canola oil, make sure the pan is hot enough for deep frying
- Deep fry prepared tofu nuggets, cook till golden brown.
- Place in the bed of lettuce and serve with dipping sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy.
For the sauce:
- Pour mayonnaise in a bowl
- Add all ingredients except water, mix well and add water until you get your desired dressing consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Tofu Medley
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (canola, olive or vegetable oil)
- 1 block firm tofu – washed, drained
- crumbled pepper, salt, chilli powder – to taste
- 4 pcs shitake mushroom sliced or 1 small can button mushroom
- 1 pc onion – sliced chunky
- 1/2 head garlic – minced
- 1 big or 2 small tomatoes – diced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-5 stems of kangkong, leaves cut, stem diced
- 1 small bell pepper (you may also combine red and green), diced
- 1 small carrot – diced
- Crumble firm tofu and add 1 tsp turmeric powder (or add more turmeric to add more colour).
- Saute garlic in oil.
- Add onion and cook until it’s translucent in colour.
- Add mushroom, let it cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add bell pepper, carrots and kangkong/pechay stems – cooked for few minutes.
- Add kangkong/pechay leaves.
- Add pepper, salt – to taste.
- Mix well & serve.
3. Tofu Steak
- 500 gm Hard tofu
- 2 medium Carrots
- I medium White Onion (optional)
- 3 pcs dried Shitake mushroom, soaked in hot water for 2 hours, squeezed, then chopped finely.
- 2 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
For the mushroom sauce:
- Fresh button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon finely-chopped shallots (optional)
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose Flour
- Salt to taste
- Cut hard tofu into small cubes pour in a mixing bowl.
- Chop carrots, onion, shitake mushroom into small cube and add in the mixing bowl
- Beat eggs and pour over the mixture
- Add salt, pepper, flour
- Mix all together and taste (adjust as needed)
- Portion mixture and from in a round shape
- In a Teflon pan, pour in 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil, pan fry mixture till cooked.
- Set aside and serve, with gravy and garnish with chopped parsley.
- In a pan with canola oil and butter, sauté mushroom till brown
- Add shallots, butter and flour. Stir
- Add water, season with soy sauce, salt, and pepper, cook till the mixture is thick.
- Serve on top of the steak.
4. Baked Tofu
- 500 gm hard tofu
- 1 block quick melt cheese
- 1 small can pineapple tidbits
- Fresh parsley
- Clarified butter
- 5 tablespoon canola oil
- Cut hard tofu into 2″x2″ cubes, deep fry until golden brown. Let it cool.
- Grate quick melt cheese
- Drain pineapples
- Chop parsley finely
- Clarify butter (1 bar put in a saucepan, place on top of the stove let it boil till milk separate from the oil, strain and set aside)
- Assemble tofu in a tray
- Sprinkle cheese over tofu
- Add pineapple, sprinkle with parsley and drizzle with clarified butter
- Bake for 3-5 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Serve hot.
5. Stuffed Tofu
- 6 pieces small tofu cubes
- Half a kilo of yellowtail trout (or any fish of your choice)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Dash of pepper
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1. Hollow out the tofu to make “shells”; be sure to leave about 1⁄4 of an inch around the sides and bottom of the tofu. Take care not to tear the shell. Set aside.
- 2. Boil the fish in water seasoned with a pinch of salt. Debone fish and flake the meat. Set aside.
- Combine fish, carrots and parsley. Mash the tofu bits you scooped out earlier and mix it in. Bind with egg and cornstarch. Spoon the mixture in each shell.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan. Deep-fry the stuffed tofu shells in hot oil until slightly brown and crisp. Invert the stuffed tofu carefully to cook the top portion. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Got more tofu recipes to share? Get in touch with us by leaving a comment below!