Toddler accidentally shoots another in the head
If your baby sees it, he will play with it. It’s a guarantee
Their inherent curiosity and inquisitiveness dictates that children will want to explore the world around them and experience it for themselves. That’s why they play with everything.
Sadly our kids happen upon things that they shouldn’t, more often than not, like this report from Tennessee.
Four children had been left unattended in a parking lot when one found a loaded semi-automatic pistol inside their mother's purse, which was left in the car.
"The child removed the magazine in an effort to unload the firearm,” the police said in a statement. “The firearm was accidentally discharged.”
A boy, seven years of age, was struck in the head. He was brought to the Knoxville-area hospital, but succumbed to his wound shortly thereafter.
In an attempt to be more vigilant of our surroundings, more and more households are starting to carry guns, not just in the west but even in Asia as well, especially in regions where laws on firearms are more lenient.
But possessing firearms warrants extra precaution on our part. If you ever decide to get a gun, or if you already have one in your possession, it’s important to keep them away from your kids, or even guests.
- Keep it locked away, and do not let anyone know where the key is. As much as possible only you or your spouse should know where it is kept.
- Teaching kids the importance and danger of guns is also key. Sit them down and thoroughly explain what it is and for what purpose it serves.
- Chances are they have already seen guns used in television and media, so you should also explain to them the difference between what they see in TV and real life.
- Also, don’t let your children play with pellet guns, because although not as lethal as their real counterparts, they can still deliver injuries to smaller children. Not to mention that toy ammunition is a choking hazard.
- And while you’re at it, make it a point to limit their exposure to violence, and be sure that when they are exposed to it, you’re there to explain what is happening.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below.