12 time management tips for mothers
Don't have enough hours in a day to get everything you need done? Welcome to mummyhood! Read on for useful tips on time management for mothers so that you can plan out your days and weeks better.
“What time is it?” — How many times a day do you find yourself asking that question? If your answer is more than two or three, chances are you have time management issues.
What is time management
More than a few mums and dads would argue the fact that time management only exists in fantasy lands along with unicorns and fairy princesses who always get the handsome prince. Not so!
It is possible to manage your time and manage it efficiently. Here’s how:
How to manage your time effectively
- Don’t be a control freak. Realize that time management isn’t the same as being a control freak. To try to control each moment of your day is to invite disaster.
- Be flexible. Flexibility actually allows you to enjoy more time doing more things
- Don’t over-extend yourself. If you try to crowd too much into each day, you’re going to accomplish less and end up more stressed.
- Expect the unexpected. Life happens. When it does, your time may often end up managing you. But being able to go with the flow is a type of time management. Go with it-don’t stress and make like Scarlet O’Hara (tomorrow really is another day).
- Don’t be afraid to say ‘no’-one of the most under-used words in the dictionary. It’s better to say no than to commit to something you can’t give the time and attention it deserves. Saying no is a time management tool that will give you more time to do what you’ve already said yes to.
- Keep an appointment book. Keep it and use it that is. Next to losing weight, keeping a current appointment book is one of the most common New Year’s resolutions made and broken.
- Let your kids be kids instead of miniature robots. Don’t enroll them in everything and anything they find appealing (or that you think may lead to super-stardom). Less time running to and from activities gives you more time as a family and more time to ‘just be’.
For more time management tips, go to page 2
- Don’t let things pile up. It takes only a few minutes to throw in a load of laundry, fold it and put it away each evening. But let it pile up and that’s all you’ll get done in half a day or more. The same goes for keeping the house clean.
- Plan meals for a week and grocery shop accordingly rather than wasting time every day in the market.
- Do work in advance. Use one afternoon or evening a week to cook or semi-prepare most of the week’s meals. Refrigerate or freeze so all you have to do is heat and serve the rest of the week. Along those same lines, when you make one lasagna or casserole, make two. Freeze one and eat the other. Then on those busy days….
- Plan your route. When running errands, do so in such a way that you won’t be back-tracking and driving all over town. It’s a waste of time and gas.
- Keep yourself from distractions. If the computer or television are distractions to you; luring you away from what you need to be doing, don’t turn them on until you are done with the task at hand.
Taking ownership of your time is one of the most valuable gifts you can give yourself and your family. We all know there are only 24 hours in a day. Don’t try to make it more than it is…it doesn’t work.
Hope you found these time management tips helpful. Do share with us if you have more tips.