We just came across this really sad news...a 16-month-old toddler in Singapore got scalded when his grandmother accidentally spilled boiling water on him...
Singapore baby scalded
The incident was reported on Zaobao, and apparently happened on 15 December, at around 10 am at a flat in Yishun.
The little boy had just learnt to walk and had slowly made his way into the kitchen, looking for his grandmother. The grandmother meanwhile, was boiling some water on the stove to cook noodles.
What happened next is truly heartbreaking. The boy's father, who is an accountant, tells Zaobao, "The pot was boiling. My baby boy walked in just when she(the grandmother) put in the noodles."
Worried that her grandson would fall and injure himself, the grandmother bent down to carry him.
She accidentally knocked over the pot, spilling hot water all over the baby. Most of the skin below his nose got burnt.
The little baby screamed in pain. The grandma didn't know what to do and started crying.
The baby's father says, "My mother-in-law panicked. That the baby was crying didn't help. We're lucky that my wife's brother was home. He rushed him to the bathroom and showered him with cold water instantly."
When the baby's mother (who is a nurse) got a phone call from them, she didn't realise how bad the burn was. When the parents got home, they were shocked by what they saw. They rushed the baby to the hospital.
According to the doctor, the baby suffered 2nd degree burns on his cheeks, jaw, mouth, neck, chest, right arm and abdomen. 40% of his skin had got burnt.
As per the report, the baby is still in hospital.
We feel really sad for this little child and hope and pray that he recovers soon.
This incident is a reminder for us parents to be extra careful when handling hot things around the little ones. These safety tips must be practised at all times:
- Check water temperature before bath: Always check the temperature of bath water with your hand before putting your child in the bath.
- Avoid hot drinks around the child: Don't cook, drink or carry hot beverages or foods while holding a child.
Keep hot foods and liquids away from table and counter edges. Don't use tablecloths or placemats, which young children can pull down.
Turn the handles of your pots and pans toward the rear of the stove and use back burners when possible. Don't leave the stove unattended when you're cooking.
- Restrict your toddler's access to these areas: Block access to the stove, fireplace, space heaters and radiators. Don't leave a child unattended in a room when these items are in use.
- Keep hot devices out of reach. Be careful with heating appliances like iron box etc. Keep them unplugged when not in use, and out of reach.
- Test food temperature before feeding young children: Be careful with food or liquids warmed in a microwave, which might heat foods unevenly.
Never warm a baby's bottle in the microwave.
Mums and dads, if (God forbid) your baby gets scalded, here is what you need to do:
- Immediately put the burned area in cool — not cold — water or under a faucet. Keep the injury in water for at least 5 to 15 minutes. Do not use ice.
- If the clothing is stuck to the skin, do not attempt to peel it away.
- Cover the burn by using nonstick gauze or a clean cloth.
- If the burn is mild, you may put on antibiotic ointment. Don’t put butter, grease, or anything else on the burn, and do not pop any blisters.
- Give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve pain if your child is aged 6 months and older. Follow the dosing instructions on the bottle. Consult a paediatrician first if your child has never taken this medication before.
- Take your child to the doctor if the burn is oozing or seems infected (red, swollen, tender).
- Seek medical attention immediately if:
- The burned area is charred or white.
- Electric shock or chemicals caused the burn.
- The burn is on the face, hands, feet, genitals, or a joint.
- The burn covers 10% or more of the body.
(Source: Zaobao, MayoClinc, WebMD, Featured Image: Screengrab Zaobao)