30-Minute salted egg yolk fried chicken recipe your family will love!
We've partnered with Nonilo to share cooking tips and tricks that'll help you with your culinary concerns — including how to make delicious Asian favourites, like salted egg fried chicken!
Salted egg makes everything better. It can elevate the taste and texture of prawns, crabs, and of course, my personal favourite, chicken. I mean: imagine biting into fried chicken coated in a rich, creamy sauce that’s equal parts salty, tasty, and juicy. Deep frying chicken in a salted egg batter sounds as good as it tastes.
Here’s how to make your own batch of delectable salted egg yolk chicken.
Makes 2 to 4 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 kg chicken fillets
- a cup of rice flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- a cup of cooking oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 ½ tsp garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp ginger, minced
- a cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 salted egg yolks, steamed and mashed finely
- 100 grams of butter
- curry leaves, a handful
- Cut chicken fillets into chunks. Marinate in salt and pepper. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together rice and all-purpose flour and season with salt.
- Coat chicken fillets in the resulting flour mixture as well as the beaten egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in a pan for a minute or so, but don’t overcook. Set aside.
- For the egg yolk sauce, melt butter in a pan over medium heat, then add curry leaves, garlic, ginger, with mashed up egg yolks.
- Re-fry chicken in the same pan containing the salted egg yolk batter until golden brown. Keep cooking until the curry leaves are crisp and fragrant.
- For a gluten-free alternative, you can use potato starch instead of flour.
- You could also use boneless chicken thighs, cut up into about 1-inch pieces, instead of chicken fillets for this recipe, if you prefer.
- You can also boil and grate salted egg yolks instead of frying them.
- For a bit of heat, add chillies to your egg yolk sauce for that extra kick!
*photo above is merely for representation purposes only (source: Harry Hartanto Instagram account)
Nonilo is an upcoming Asian food & home content and community platform that aims to jumpstart the creative spark within every Asian woman. Follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/nonilodotcom/.