A mum's warning about the danger of phone chargers for kids

lead image

A mum had a scary encounter with a plugged in phone charger and her toddler, when it caused her little one to sustain a bad electrical burn.

Babies and toddlers love putting things in their mouth – this is perfectly normal and this is how they learn about their environment. 

So when your little ones are at this very curious age, it makes sense to keep all dangerous objects well out of their reach so they stay safe and sound. 

U.S. mum Courtney recently shared what happened to her 19-month old daughter as a very real warning and reminder to all parents about safety in the home and kids – in this case, related to mobile phone chargers. 

Her little one had put the plugged-in phone charger in her mouth and got a very painful looking electrical burn on the corner of her mouth. 

Unfortunately, because of the location of the wound, no medicine could be put on it, so the poor little one had to heal on her own. 

Courtney says in her post: 

So I wasn’t going to post about this until I posted in a mom group and found out many parents don’t think twice about the danger of a phone charger around children. On Sept 28th my 19 month old stuck my phone charger in her mouth.

We went to the Dr who confirmed that it was an electrical burn there was nothing they could put on it due to her being able to lick it. Any other day my charger wouldn’t have been plugged up in her reach but because of a bunch of stuff going on that day I didn’t have time to move it. It took all of a few seconds for her to get burned.

She had never tried to put it in her mouth and she had never messed with it. The one day it isn’t moved she stuck it in her mouth and got a severe burn. She doesn’t feel it thank God hasn’t acted like it bothers her at all. 

**Parents, Grandparents, babysitters etc please put your chargers up out of reach. My daughter was lucky the next kid may not be as lucky as her.

Mummy Courtney also shared some very scary images of her child’s burn injury, sustained to the corner of the mouth. 

burn image 1 A mum's warning about the danger of phone chargers for kids

Image: COURTNEY N DAVIS/ FACEBOOK

burn image 2 A mum's warning about the danger of phone chargers for kids

Image: COURTNEY N DAVIS/ FACEBOOK

burn image 3 A mum's warning about the danger of phone chargers for kids

Image: COURTNEY N DAVIS/ FACEBOOK

A timely reminder

We are all busy and we are all highly reliant on our mobile phones and other devices. As such, it’s so easy to forget to unplug our phone (and other device) chargers and put them away when not in use. I’m guilty of doing this too. 

What happened to this little girl is a good reminder for all of us to take a moment and look out for dangers to our children in our very own homes, that we might be unaware of. 

Please read this article to find out how to baby-proof your home.