“My heart still stops every time the school rings as I assume they are calling to tell me she has had a reaction and is in an ambulance or worse."
Living with allergies is bad enough for anyone, but imagine living with a cornucopia of allergies and be able to do nothing much about it. That’s how Coco from Gold Coast has been living her life for ten years now.
Her mother Terran first knew about her allergy when Coco was drinking cow’s milk formula at six-months-old.
“As she drank the formula, I started to notice that the skin around her mouth had started to go red. Within half-an-hour her body was covered in hives. It looked as though she had 1000’s of insect bites. Her eyes had started to swell,” Terran recalled in a Mama Mia story.
At the hospital, Coco was given a steroid shot to relieve her symptoms. The GP then told her that the allergy may have been triggered by a component of the milk, but was unsure exactly what.
“He suggested I keep trying different formulas until I found one that she didn’t react to—advice which could have killed my daughter had I followed it.”
After consulting three practitioners, she was eventually referred to Professor Pete Smith, a paediatric allergist and immunologist.
“We discussed her reaction, her mild eczema, her frequent vomiting and she underwent a skin prick test,” Terran said.
The Gold Coast mother said she expected to be told that her daughter was allergic to something common, like dairy. Instead, she was shocked to find out that her daughter was allergic to almost everything.