When not to breastfeed
There are a myriad of benefits to breastfeeding but there are certain situations where it would be best to avoid breastfeeding. Read on to find out what they are...
You should not breastfeed if you:
1. Are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
2. Are taking antiretroviral medications.
3. Have active and/or untreated tuberculosis.
4. Are using or are dependent upon an illicit drug
5. Are taking prescribed cancer chemotherapy agents
6. Are undergoing radiation theraphy.
7. Are an alcoholic.
In addition, infants who have been diagnosed with galactosemia should not be breastfed.
For more related articles on breastfeeding, see: