The Malays believe that women should increase their intake of turmeric, ginger (galangal), and drumstick leaves after childbirth. Unsure of what Malay Postpartum Confinement recipes to try at home? Here are some traditional Malay Postpartum Confinement Recipes for Asian Parents!
3 Malay Postpartum Confinement Recipes
1. Nasi Kerabu (Herbed Rice)
1 cup fresh grated coconut
2. 1/2 cup ikan bilis
3. 3 cups cooked rice
4. 1 stalk of lemongrass, very thinly sliced
5. 1 torch ginger bud, very thinly sliced (optional)
6. 1 shallots, very thinly sliced
7. 1 inch ginger, very thinly sliced
8. 1/2 inch galangal, very thinly sliced
9. 1/2 inch fresh turmeric, very thinly sliced, or 1 tsp. ground
10. 1 bunch of celery leaves
11. 1 bunch of cilantro
12. 1 bunch of mint
13) 1 bunch of watercress
14. 10 kaffir lime leaves
15. 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
16. salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pan over very low heat.
2. Add the coconut and toast it, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes. It will turn golden brown and dry out.
3. Let cool, and then grind it to the texture of fine breadcrumbs in a food processor or with a mortar and pestle.
4. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in the wok, and add the dried fish.
5. Fry, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Let cool, and then cut into small pieces.
7. Pick the leaves from the stems of the herbs.
8. Roll up the leaves into little bunches, with the lime leaves on the outside.
9. Chop very finely, creating very thin julienned herb strips.
10. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
11. Toss with the vegetable oil, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
2. Ayam Percik (Spicy Barbequed Chicken)
1. 4 pieces chicken whole legs
2. 1 pieces ginger (pounded)
3. 15g turmeric powder
4. 1 tbsp coriander powder
5. 2 tbsp tamarind paste (mix with water to make juice)
6. 1 tbsp salt
7. 20 pieces dried chilies (pound)
8. 8 gloves garlic (pound)
9. 10 pieces shallots (pound)
10. 30g ginger (pound)
11. 5 pieces buah keras (pound)
12. 1 tbsp belacan (pound)
13. 3 stalks serai (pound)
1. 700 ml coconut milk
2. 2 tbsp sugar
3. Salt to taste
How to make it:
1. Marinate chicken with ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tamarind paste and salt for 3 hours.
2. Heat 4 tbsp oil in wok and saute dried chillies, garlic, shallots, ginger, buah keras, belacan and serai until fragrant, then add in seasoning and bring to boil.
3. Add in chicken and simmer in low heat until soften.
4. Dish out chicken and keep the gravy.
5. Place in aluminium foil, bake in oven at 220 celcius until golden brown.
6. Chop chicken whole legs into pieces and serve with gravy.
3. Tahu Sumbat (Stuffed Bean Curd)
What you need:
1. 1/3 vegetable cup
2. 2 firm tofu (cut into squares)
3. ¼ cup beansprouts (blanched)
4. ¼ cup hot house cucumbers (unpeeled and shredded)
5. ¼ cup jicama (shredded)
6. 1/8 cup lettuce (shredded)
1. 1/3 whole red chilli
2. 1/3 clove (sliced)
3. 1/3 shallot (sliced)
4. 1/3 tsp veg oil
5. 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
6. 1/3 tsp tamarind paste (dissolved in 2 tbsp water and strained)
7. 2/3 tbsp sugar
What you do:
1. To prepare the bean curd/tofu, heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan and brown each square on both sides.
2. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
Cool, and cut in half diagonally into 2 triangles.
3. Mix the bean sprouts, cucumber, jicama, and lettuce together into a stuffing mixture.
4. Open the slits with your fingers and stuff about 2 tablespoons stuffing firmly into each half.
5. Transfer to a serving platter.
For the sauce:
1. If using fresh chilli, crush it in a mortar and pestle. If using dried chilli, soak it in warm water to soften, then drain.
2. Crush the chilli, garlic, and shallot together.
3. In a small skillet, heat the oil and stir-fry the garlic-shallot paste until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Combine the paste with all remaining ingredients into a thick sauce. If the sauce is too spicy, add sugar to lessen the intensity or hot water.
5. Serve the sauce in a separate bowl from the stuffed bean curd (tofu).
Do you have other tried-and-tested quick Malay postpartum confinement recipes? Share your recipes in our forum!
Share on Facebook
Related: Confinement recipe (malay), 6 vegetarian confinement recipes! , Black beans herbal soup