Want to bring back some Bak Kwa from Malaysia? Think again!
According to AVA and ICA, Bak kwa is on the list of barred items to bring into Singapore...
With Chinese New Year just around the corner, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) issued a joint advisory on Tuesday (Jan 19) reminding travellers to check guidelines before bringing in items from other countries.
What you can't bring
- Pork products (including bak kwa and canned luncheon meat) from Malaysia and other South-east Asian countries. Pork products can be imported only from approved regions including Australia, Japan, US and some European countries.
- Eggs from Malaysia or other countries except for Australia, New Zealand and Sweden. Each person limited to 30 eggs for allowed countries.
- Pork from Malaysia, and all other South-east Asian countries, is not allowed even for personal consumption.
- Another prohibited food is fresh chicken eggs from Malaysia. Eggs from a few countries, including New Zealand, are allowed but limited to 30 per person.
- Other goodies such as love letters and pineapple tarts are allowed, but limited to 5kg, or $100 per person, according to food import guidelines.
In general, travellers are allowed to bring in a maximum of 5kg or 5 litres of processed food products, and the total value of these products cannot exceed $100 per person.
According to the AVA, these restrictions are for health and safety reasons and should be taken seriously.
What you can bring
- Processed food products: Max 5kg or 5 litres; total value not exceeding $100 per person
- Fruits and vegetables: Small amount for personal consumption, from all countries except those in American Tropics e.g. Brazil, Mexico, Ecuador.
A phytosanitary certificate to certify that the produce is pest-free is required for these countries.
- Beef: Max 5kg from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Uruguay, US
- Pork: Max 5kg from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, US
- Poultry: Max 5kg from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, US
- Seafood products: Max 5kg, out of which only 2 kg of frozen cooked crabmeat and frozen cooked prawn meat is allowed
- Live or frozen oysters: Only from Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands, UK, US