Easy recipes for children to try out this March holiday! Make Popcorn Balls, Junior Lava Lamp and Cranberry Blueberry Muffins with your kids!
With the school holidays here, parents everywhere have been silently freaking out trying to come up with quality time activities for their kids (and yet not break the bank, or their spirit).
We can tell you there is one activity that will be beneficial to your children’s development and everyone gets a treat, post activity. Preparing goodies.
That’s right, roll up your sleeves, heat up that oven and munch on these delicious easy-to-make recipes. Soon, your kids will be able to prepare these recipes on their own and serve these healthy snacks to you, followed by the fam cosying up together at the sofa, watching movies.
Now, wouldn’t that be nice?
Cranberry Blueberry Muffins
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line cups with paper muffin cups.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in medium mixing bowl. Combine egg, milk and oil in small bowl. Add liquid to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in blueberries and cranberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle muffins with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove muffins from pan; cool on wire rack. Serve warm.
- Makes 12 muffins.
Junior Lava Lamp
6 ounces ginger ale or lemon-lime soda, chilled *
1 teaspoon Ocean Spray® Craisins® Dried Cranberries, any flavor
- Pour ginger ale into an 8 oz. clear tumbler or tall narrow glass.
- Add dried cranberries and a decorative straw.
- After a moment, cranberries will begin to slowly float up and down in glass, like a lava lamp.
- Garnish with a decorative straw.
- Makes 1 serving.
* Tip: Make colorful lava lamps, use cranberry or raspberry-flavored ginger ale, orange soda or apple-flavored sparkling cider. Any carbonated, lightly-colored beverage will work.
Maple Cranberry Popcorn Balls
8 cups plain popcorn *
1 cup Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Place popcorn and dried cranberries in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and maple syrup in a small saucepan; add butter. Cook over medium heat, until butter melts and mixure comes to a boil, stirring often. Cook for about 4 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring frequently. Pour over popcorn mixture, stirring until coated.
- Dip hands in cold water. Shape popcorn mixture into 2-inch balls, pressing firmly to hold shape.
- Place on waxed paper; cool completely.
- Let stand overnight to harden. Wrap in decorative plastic wrap.
- Makes 12 servings.
*If using freshly made popcorn, remove unpopped kernals.
PER SERVING: Calories 153, Protein 1gram, Carb. 31grams, Chol. 8mg, Dietary Fiber 1gram,
Sugar 24grams, Vitamin A 29RE, Sodium 36mg, Pot. 73mg, Iron 1mg, Calcium 23mg
These recipes are contributions from Weber Shandwick.
We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts and comments with us in the Comment box below.
Join the ParentTown community for Q&A among parents-to-be, parents AND experts!