Seasoned staycationer Angie Han shares some tips on stay-vacationing with your children and some of her favourite city spots.
With the school holidays right round the corner, many families have already planned their short getaways. But for some, there is not enough time for a vacation, while others have budget concerns.
A good alternative is a staycation – where you take a break with your family without leaving the country. In Singapore, there are many wonderful hidden gems in the city and the outskirts, waiting for you to explore or re-discover.
But first, a look at what you need for a relaxing and stress-free staycation.
Must-haves for a staycation with kids:
- Look for family-friendly hotels with facilities to keep the children occupied.
- List down kid-friendly places nearby e.g. theatres, museums, nature reserves, parks, playgrounds, etc.
- Check on the events during the duration of your stay e.g. concerts, musicals, fireworks, F1 race, River Ang Bao at Marina Bay, carnivals, etc.
- Plan an itinerary on the activities to do and places to visit.
- Bring along DVDs, portable DVD player, iPad, colouring book, a few toys and books to keep the children occupied.
- Most importantly, treat it as if you are on vacation. Take the opportunity to visit or re-visit familiar places, eat at different restaurants and try new activities.
Stay at the Marina Bay area
My family has been to the city hotels along Marina Bay area – a historical, cultural and shopping paradise. The location is accessible and there are so many activities for the whole family.
During our hotel stays, we went to musicals and SSO Concerts for children at the Esplanade, visited the nearby museums, had fun at the Marina Barrage, took an educational tour onboard the duck tours and went for a leisurely stroll along the Marina Promenade and the Helix Bridge. Another highlight of staying in these hotels was the spectacular fireworks on National Day and New Year Eve.
We have had 3 staycations in the Marina Bay area and here are our personal experiences at these hotels.