"Hike It!" - A Walking Guide For Children
Review for "Hike It! - Bras Basah & Waterloo - A Walking Guide For Children We all know Singapore is as little as a "Little Red Dot" can be, but how many of us have actually explored all the nooks and crannies there are to see?
Hike It! - Bras Basah & Waterloo- A Walking Guide For Children
Price: $13.95 (w/o GST)
Availability: Select Books and all major bookstores
Published By: Autumn Wonders- Select Publishing Pte Ltd
Recommended for: 8 to 88 years old
We all know Singapore is as little as a "Little Red Dot" can be, but how many of us have actually explored all the nooks and crannies there are to see? "Hike It! - A Walking Guide for Children" is one of a new series of books for the young and the young at heart which allows us to travel around and find out about all the weird and wonderful places in Singapore. This book traces routes for us all around the Bras Basah and Waterloo area with instructions on finding places and things to see. Discover quirky facts about places from the Singapore Mint to the Singapore Art Museum! And if you think you know all there is to know, read this book to look at them in a completely different light. Who ever said that Singapore's history was boring?
What we love:
1) The layout and presentation of the facts and places are both enthralling and exciting.
2) The notes-and-burnt-paper look of the pages make it feel almost self-compiled, and so manage to engage you on a very personal level.
3) Where else do we get to find out how the name Teddy Bear originated from Theodore Roosevelt?
5) The first-person commentary makes you feel, even if you are just reading it, that you are on the journey as well.
6) The exquisite illustrations add to the delight of discovering new things, or even re-discovering old things in new ways.
What we dislike:
1) The text on some of the pages may be a bit lengthy, and could have been cut down a little.
2) The magazine-like surface of the paper may be hard to write on, should someone actually want to taint its pages with their writing. (well, that's what the spaces are meant for anyway)
Our Verdict: We might dislike some things, but we love it much more! Even if you are a parent, or a grandparent, this book will make you feel like the paper-knife brandishing, exploring, curious, adventurous little soul you once were. This book gets a stellar 5 stars out of 5!