3-Year-Old in hospital, one dead in HDB flat fire tragedy
An HDB flat fire in Singapore left a woman dead. A 3-year-old child was rushed to KK Hospital. Investigations are going on...
A 63-year-old woman died in an HDB flat fire in Singapore. A 3-year-old child was rushed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital.
The tragedy occured at 163B Punggol Central on 15 October 2018.
HDB flat fire in Singapore leaves one dead
According to a Facebook post by SCDF, they responded to the distress call at around 12:35 pm. The fire was on a unit in the 4th floor.
SCDF conduced a forced entry into the flat. The fire seemed to have originated in the kitchen.
A 3-year-old child was found conscious in the bedroom and rushed to KKH. Sadly, a 63-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic.
Investigations are going on...
Fire safety tips
Mums and dads, here are some simple fire safety tips to remember and practise:
- If you are in an unfamiliar place, like say, the mall, spot and note the fire exits.
- Unless you are trapped, exit by the stairs. Do not use the lifts. The most effective way out is to lay low and move.
- If you are trapped in your house, move to a room with a window. Call 995 and let them know your situation.
Open the windows as widely as possible and shout for help. Do not attempt to jump. Do not throw anyone down. It is dangerous.
- Do not smoke inside the house, especially when you are going to sleep.
- At home, keep candles at a safe distance from the bed, carpet, and curtains. Extinguish them before sleeping.
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use. Don’t forget to unplug the iron after use.
- Call an electrician instead of undertaking any electrical work on your own at home.
- Do not throw flammable things down the refuse chute.
- Keep flammables like matches, lighters, etc out of the reach of the children.
- Do not store more than one LPG cylinder in the kitchen. Check the tubing of the cooking gas for signs of wear and tear.
Effects of smoke inhalation
It may come as a shock that it is smoke inhalation, and not burns, that is the number 1 cause of death related to fires. Smoke inhalation occurs when the victim breathes in the products of combustion during a fire. Carbon monoxide poisoning has been found to be the leading cause of death in smoke inhalation.
Caring for victims of smoke inhalation
- Call for help. Singapore emergency ambulance no is 995.
- It is important to drag the child away from the smoke and get him out into the fresh air.
- Have the child sit down until he begins to feel better. Cover him with a blanket.
- After coughing has subsided, offer a glass of water to calm a burning throat.
- Place a cool washcloth over his eyes and forehead.
- Check his breathing. Loosen clothes around the neck and torso to help breathing.
- If he is unconscious, turn his head to the side to prevent possible vomit from choking him.
- See a doctor as soon as possible for further assessment.