Careless nurse causes baby's leg to be amputated

lead image

A hairdryer mishap caused by a careless nurse forced doctors to amputate the leg of a 4-day-old baby after it became charred.

Newborns are so tiny, so precious, and we treat them with the utmost care and love to ensure they are always safe. For one new mum, though, her precious baby’s safety was compromised by a careless nurse. The nurse’s negligence has left the little one without a leg, as it had to be amputated to save him. 

Nurse Responsible for Hairdryer Mishap that Led to an Amputation

hairdryer Careless nurse causes baby's leg to be amputated

Who knew that a hairdryer could have such a disastrous effect on a newborn?

According to reports, the incident happened in China. The nurse had given the newborn baby a bath and then used a hair dryer to dry off the baby. Afterwards, the nurse placed the hairdryer in the incubator, but forgot to turn it off.

The hairdryer was left inside the incubator for an hour before it was discovered. By then, the newborn’s leg was charred and had to be amputated as a result of the hairdryer mishap.

The mother shared that she gave birth to her son prematurely, and he had to stay in an incubator for 10 days. However, she did not expect that on the fourth day, such a tragic event would befall her newborn baby boy.

There is no word yet on whether or not a case will be filed against the nurse.

Your Newborn’s Safety Should be Your Number One Concern

As parents, it’s important to make sure that your child grows up away from any harm or danger. And while not all things are within a parent’s control, such as what happened in the hairdryer mishap, it’s still important for mums and dads to always keep their babies safe.

Here are some key things to remember:

  • Never leave your infant unattended on a bed, tabletop, couch, or changing table as they can fall from these places.
  • Avoid using hairdryers or any electrical equipment on your newborn. Hairdryers are too harsh and too hot for a newborn’s skin.
  • Don’t hold hot liquids while holding your baby.
  • Don’t microwave your baby’s bottle. Always test the temperature yourself before giving the bottle to your newborn.
  • When traveling, make sure your newborn is seated in the back, and in a car seat that’s age appropriate. Never ever carry your baby while seated in the front passenger seat.
  • Keep anything sharp or dangerous away from your newborn.
  • During bedtime, take out any pillows, blankets, etc from your newborn’s crib. These can become choking hazards for your newborn.
  • Make sure your infant sleeps on their back; this helps avoid SIDS.
  • Pacifiers have been known to lower the risk of SIDS.

Source: AsiaOne

Photo screencapped from: AsiaOne

READ: They saved this Singapore boy’s leg from getting amputated!