Easy-to-follow grilled peri-peri chicken recipe!
Follow this recipe to make a simple and mouth-watering snack for yourself and your little ones. Don't worry - it's not spicy!
For the chicken:
- 1/4 cup paprika - I used smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup (240ml) fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs or breast halves
And for the garnish:
- Coriander, chopped
- Lemon or Lime wedges
- In a bowl, combine smoked (or sweet) paprika, hot chili powder, minced garlic, chopped ginger salt and lemon juice.
- Pour onto the chicken and coat the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably over night.
- To grill, place the chicken, skin side down on a tray that has been sprayed with oil. Spray the chicken with a little oil. Grill at 180°C for 30 minutes before turning the chicken over, spray with more oil and grill for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken pieces turn golden brown and are cooked through.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped coriander and sliced lemons or lime, with rice or any carbs of your choice. Enjoy your homemade Peri-peri Chicken!
Tips from theAsianparent:
- Peri-peri, also known as the African Bird's Eye Chili, is also the Swahili word for 'pepper pepper'. If your child is sensitive to this ingredient, you might want to skip the hot chili powder which is optional. For those who'd love to up the 'oomph' factor, adjust the amount as desired. Season according to your family's tastes for a winning recipe!
- Did you know that not all parts of a chicken are made equal? Chicken breasts are packed with one of the top amount of proteins and the lowest on calories as compared to other parts of a chicken. So, if you're watching your diet, be sure to opt for the healthier choice.