Snowskin mooncakes do not baking, and they are really easy too! Prepare some pretty snowskin mooncakes with this easy recipe and enjoy them with the family.
- 50g kao fen (cooked glutinous rice flour)
- 230g snowskin flour – I used Kwong Cheong Thye Pinpe Premix Powder
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 46g vegetable shortening – I used Crisco
- 300g water (boil 500g water with 4 pandan leaves, leave to cool, and measure 300g water)
- Some extra kao fen for dusting
- Combine kao fen and snowskin flour in a big bowl and set aside.
- In a pot, add the icing sugar and shortening to the pandan water and stirring with a hand whisk, bring this to a boil until the shortening had melted.
- Pour this mixture into the bowl containing flour and use a spatula to stir the mixture until a soft dough forms. Set this aside to cool. Form the filling into balls of 25g each. Set this aside.
- Once the dough is cool, knead the dough until it becomes smooth. Add more kao fen if the dough is still too sticky.
- Add food colouring if you are using. You may want to divide the dough into portions if you are using different colours. Place the colour in the middle of the dough and knead until the colour is uniform.
- Divide the dough (21g each). Flatten each portion and roll into a round disc. Place one portion of filling in the middle of each piece of dough. Pinch edges to seal.
- Dust the ball with a little kao fen and press it firmly into the mould.
- Chill the mooncakes before consuming.
- I doubled the portions to make 58 mooncakes.
Tips from theAsianparent:
- Create a myriad of beautiful hued mooncakes in your favourite colours using pretty moulds. Food colouring supplies and mooncake moulds can be purchased in Singapore stores such as Bake King, Phoon Huat, Bake It Yourself, The Cake Dresser and FairPrice.
- If you prefer to use natural food colourings, how about creating your own from scratch? Here’s a step-by-step video to show you how you can use vegetables to make your own food colouring, which can be used for mooncakes and other baked goods too!