Is it ever too late to find love…again? Divorce does not have to be the end of love in your life, what if it leads to a beautiful new beginning instead? A beginning full of hopes and dreams, and lessons learnt from the past? Daniel Ong rediscovered love with his wife Fay Tan, and they are not the only celebrities to get their happily ever after a rough patch. Check the stories of these Singapore celebrities seem to have found love again after divorce, and we can’t be happier for them!
Finding Love Again After Divorce
Daniel Ong & Wife Fay Tan
Ex-radio DJ and businessman Daniel Ong confessed about how his divorce with his previous wife former Miss Singapore Universe and actress, Jaime Teo nearly wrecked his life, “I got my heart broken into many tiny pieces. I thought it was the end of the world.”
“For the longest time, my days were bleak, dark and filled with drowning my sorrows in alcohol. I’m not proud of those times,” said Daniel Ong about his experience with his previous wife
“My negativity was affecting everything in my life. I had to snap out of it, for myself, for (daughter) Renee, for family and friends.”
A positive mindset and a simple 5-minute rule helped Daniel get a grip back on his life, “Not only did I heal, I reflected, spent time thinking and learning about myself and my inner demons. What emerged was a stronger and better version of myself.”
Today, we are truly happy that apart from finding professional success, Daniel has also discovered love again and even a new wife after divorce, with artist girlfriend Fay Tan.
The couple first met through the dating platform, Coffee Meets Bagel, and quickly found common ground with one another, especially with them being single parents.
Despite having dated her for only a year, Daniel Ong said his soon-to-be wife helped him become “a better version of myself. I became a better person, and it’s because of her.”
The former DJ successfully proposed to Fay Tan on 22 August 2019 and the pair tied the knot on Sunday, 2 February 2020.
“She will be the last woman that I will love,” Daniel Ong said about his wife.
Photo: thecollectivememories | Instagram
Daniel is father to 10-year-old Renee, from his marriage with Jaime Teo. Fay Tan also has a 5-year-old daughter from her previous relationship.
Photo: daniel_ong_singapore | Instagram
Here’s wishing this couple the best, in life and in love!
Jamie Yeo & Husband Thorston Nolte
When it came to marriage and love, TV Host, actress and Radio DJ Jamie Yeo, got third time lucky.
She was first married to SPH Radio’s One FM 91.3 DJ Glenn Ong in 2004, before they split in 2009. She later got married to communications agency boss Thorston Nolte, who is the father of her daughter, 10-year-old Alysia. The couple decided to part ways after around 4 years.
It is never easy to go through a divorce and a failed relationship, especially as a mum, and Jamie was then quoted as saying, “I was under so much pressure and I was crying so much that I had problems sleeping. I did everything I could to save [our marriage], but I’m sad to say that getting a divorce was our best option.”
Gorgeous couple found love again after divorce | PHOTO: INSTAGRAM / JAMIE YEO
“I wish I could have been a good example to all the girls and women out there, but I just couldn’t. I have to think for my daughter and I have to be happy.”
Cupid re-entered her life in the form of Rupert, a British expat and consultant at a corporate risk management company, who Jamie connected through dating app Tinder in 2015. The couple tied the knot in 2017.
“I knew Rupert was the one when I observed his actions and how he treats everyone around him. He’s decent, fun, intelligent and, most of all, a kind soul. Of course, I think he’s devastatingly handsome, too!” quoted Jamie in an interview with Her World Online.
She added: “I know that it’s difficult to find someone that ticks off all the boxes but believe me, that person is out there.”
Today, not only is the celebrity mum influencer happily married to him, the couple are also parents of two children: Alysia, whom she had with her second husband, and three-year-old Luke, fathered by Rupert.
Here’s wishing this family a blessed life ahead!
Shaun Chen & Wife Celine Chin
Currently married to Malaysian beautician, Celine Chin, in 2015, Actor Shaun Chen is now proud daddy of 2 girls!
But did you know that he was previously married to actress Michelle Chia?
Shaun and Michelle got married in 2009 after 6 years of courtship. The wedding was even televised live on Channel 8! In 2011, sadly, their marriage ended in divorce. Apparently, personality and lifestyle differences were the reasons for the failed marriage.
They remain good friends though, and Shaun once told The Straits Times, “If you ask me now, I don’t really know why we broke up.”
“I’m very fortunate that I don’t have an enemy in my life. I hope everyone is a friend or a good colleague, and not one more enemy, that’s not what I want.”
Shaun was lucky to find love again after divorce.| Image source: Instagram/shaunchenhongyu
Here’s wishing this beautiful family more love and happiness!
Allan Wu & Yvonne Lee
Actors Wong Li-lin and Allan Wu seemed to be a couple that had it all – celebrity status, love and 2 beautiful kids! And thus it came as a shock that their relationship bit the dust after 9 years of marriage.
Li-Lin was once quoted as saying, “This is between Allan and me…in any relationship, people want things to work. He and I certainly did, but certain things didn’t work out so we just have to be mature about it. We both have our rights and wrongs and we both tried.”
Allan Wu: Love again after divorce | PHOTO: INSTAGRAM / leeyvonnez
Wu, has two tweenagers, son Jonas, 14, and daughter Sage, 16 with Wong Li-Lin, and they continue to be cordial with each other. Li-Lin calls him a doting dad, “Allan is a very loving dad, he loves his children very much. While estranged, he and I will always be connected because of the children.”
PHOTO: INSTAGRAM / wulander
Today, Wu is dating Miss Malaysia World 2012 and model-emcee Yvonne Lee, 32, who came in second in The Amazing Race Asia 5.
He tells The New Paper, “Time heals everything. It is just a matter of time when you are ready to open up your heart to someone else, and I think we are.”
As for tying the knot a second time, the actor shared in an interview with 8Days that “nothing is set in stone” at the moment, but revealed that he and Yvonne have discussed the topic before.
He also intends to consult his two children and hear them out before making decisions, but believes that they will give their well-wishes.
Lead image source: Instagram/shaunchenhongyu, Instagram/daniel_ong_singapore
Co-parenting tips for divorced parents
Talking to your ex, and making shared, mindful decisions together might be unimaginable for many divorced parents. However, effective co-parenting can bring back a lot of stability and calm into your children’s lives. Here are a few pointers :
- Let your past remain in the past: Your children come first. Leave the negativity behind and learn from the lessons of the past. It’s normal to feel angry, but don’t let your anger dictate your actions. Use your children as motivating factors to work co-operatively with the other parent.
- Focus on Communication: Think of your relationship with your ex as a business, where the business refers to your child’s well being. Your child should be at the focal point of all conversations. Be formal and polite. Weigh your words before you speak. Listen to understand, never to judge. Hard as it may seem, try not to overreact.
- Your problems are your own: Avoid criticising your ex in front of the kids. It makes them feel insecure like they have to choose between the two of you.
- Don’t pass messages through your children: You don’t need your child to tell something for you. It puts them directly in a war zone. Keep your child out of your relationship issues. All forms of communication must be directly between the parents.
- It’s never too late to say sorry: Apologising for something always dilutes negativity. You may even start to view your ex as less of an enemy.
- Medical needs: Keep one another in the loop when it comes to the kids’ medical conditions and doctors’ appointments.
- Education: Both parents deserve to know about their kids’ progress in school, and their extracurricular activities. Make sure that your ex is also invited for your child’s Annual Day or Sports Day. Avoid making it look awkward for your kids.
- Draft that will : Get the help of a lawyer and draft your will. Your last will and testament is a document that designates what happens with your property and who gets to look your children after you are gone. It also names the person (executor) who carries out your wishes after you die.
This Singapore mum found love again after a really painful past
‘Third Time’s A Charm’: Former DJ Daniel Ong Gets Married To Fiancée
(Source: The New Paper, The Straits Times)