Hungry and in a hurry? But want something healthy too? Try this quick and easy to follow recipe that has been passed down from generations of families.
Steamed herbal chicken is a recipe that has been used over decades by Chinese family. It is easy to cook, healthy to eat and beneficial to the body in many ways depending on the type of herbs you use to cook it with. In addition, it is also a delicious dish to have to ensure a smooth confinement.
Steamed Herbal Chicken
What you need:
- 500g chicken (whole or thigh)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 slices old ginger
- 20g Dong Sum (当参)
- 20g Wai San (淮山)
- 10g Tong Kwai (当归)
- 25g Kei Chi (杞子)
- 2 pcs Pak Kay (北芪)
- 5 red dates (红枣)
What you do:
1. Clean chicken and marinate with seasoning.
2. Heat wok with 1 tsp sesame oil. Fry ginger till golden brown.
3. Add in the herbs and 2 tbsp hot water. Stir for 3 minutes.
4. Dish out.
5. Place an aluminium foil in a deep dish. Place chicken in the centre and add the herbs. Bring both ends of the foil together and twist it so as to seal it.
6. Steam the bundled chicken for 1 to 1½ hours (depending on the size of the chicken). Turn it over if the chicken is big to absorb the sauce.